Complete Disney Comics Index (Re: Torsten)

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Wed Dec 2 21:10:49 CET 1992

On 2 Dec 1992, Harry Fluks wrote:
> Torsten (TWA) writes:
> TWA> The paragraph should include:
> TWA> 	Control number (same for each language version?)
> me> Is this the story code? If so, it should be the same for each language
> me> version.
> TWA> Whatever that number is on the first page of the story.  Uncle
> TWA> Scrooge #273 (WD's US in House of Haunts) has :
> TWA> 	KJU080-1/U.S.#129.
> This is a double code, but neither of the codes is the 'original' code. They
> both indicate reprints. So: the 'actual' code could be different for each
> publication; but we should define a 'normalised' code that is unique to
> the story. (I posted a message about story codes, once. I think I'll update
> the message and re-post it.)
TWA>	most indices create an entry number to make searching easier.
>
> me> I prefer a title or description flagged with:
> me>   T: exact title (heroes abbreviated like DD, MM, US etc.)
> me>   D: description from the comic's contents page
> me>   O: own description
> me> Using () or [] or {} is confusing, especially if you want to list titles
> me> with () in them.
> TWA> 	Perhaps the title should be noted by quotation marks?
> Why? Isn't the flag T: enough? (example:
> 	T:DD finds Pirate gold
TWA>	If parenthesis, brackets, etc. are used, then there should be some
way of telling if they are part of the title, or added by the indexer.
> me> I think some stories have a T:/D: and an O: as well, when the T:/D: is not
> me> clear enough to recognize the story.
> TWA> 	T:/D ?
> #define T:/D:  ( T: or D: )
> me> How much work do you think a complete list would cost this way?
> TWA> 	What do you mean by cost?
> Effort. Hours of volunteer-work to put the list together. If we are starting
> such a list, I would like it to be finished this century.
TWA>	How many people subscribe to this group?  How many Disney fans have
access to this group, but don't know about it?  What if each person did a
few titles, maybe one or two a month?
	Does it have to be complete by January 1, 2001?  Perhaps just the
title, creators, and maybe a brief synopsis, with a more complete index to
follow later.