But...how do you know?

rich.bellacera@amail.amdahl.com rich.bellacera at amail.amdahl.com
Sat Dec 5 09:49:00 CET 1992

I've been wondering something since this list began.  I am amazed by how much
some of you seem to know about the specific artists & writers for Disney
Comics that were written prior to the 70's.  The reason I'm amazed is because
(and I'm fairly certain of this) it is only a recent phenomenon that comic
artists and writers are actually getting the recognition they're due.  I
have many Goldkey and Gladstone and Dell comics that don't even give a hint
about who might be responsible for the wonderful (and not-so-wonderful)
stories we were given.  They all just say "Walt Disney's ....." or "...by
Walt Disney" or "Walt Disney presents..." and of course they're all "signed"
with his logo-signature.  I recall reading some about how certain artist
earned a fan following (like Jack Kirby) and hence were in much demand.  With
this in mind I can see where Carl Barks and a few others might have earned
their recognition the same way, but even Bark's older work was unidentified.
I can also see where an artist's and even a writer's very distinctive
stylings would have gained them easy identification, but in the cases of
mediocre or good copy-cat artists/writers I can see where it would not
be so readily distinct.  I know that in the 70's Marvel & D.C. went through
a writers and artists revolt where they demanded more recognition and control
over their art and characterizations.  They were tired of having thier
characters destroyed by other artists or writers and of not given any of their
due.  I'm fairly sure that John Byrne and a few others lead the way with this
and the comics companies finally conceded (or they lost the talent to the
competitor or to independents) -good for them!).  I know that there is still
a lot of unclear recognition in the newspaper comics since, even though the
origianl creators may not be drawing or even writing their comicstrips they
are still the only ones given the recognition (I think this is mostly due to
some sort of 'institutional' thing, like that comic strip has been around for
so long it is now a part of history and will always be directly linked to it's
creator (Pogo, Peanuts, Popeye, Mickey Mouse, etc).  SO where are you getting
all this fantastic info?

MISCELLANEOUS:

1.  It was recently posted to rec.arts.disney that the book "The Encyclopedia
of Walt Disney's Animated Characters" has been delayed until January.  This
would explain why all the bookstores I check don't understand why they have
not gotten it in.  Of course a couple of people on the East Coast of the
USA say they have seen it in bookstores, but I wonder if they are instead
referring to the previous edition which might be in reprint or of another
book with a similar title "The Encyclopedia of Animated Characters" which I
have perused, but not purchased (I forget the author but it is definitely
not the one I am waiting for).

2.  For those of you who may not be able to get the new Disney Television
animated show RAW TOONAGE which showcases "Marsupilami", you can get a glimpse
of the little critter in the latest issue of "Disney Adventures (January '93)"
which has a Marsupilami puzzle on page 99.  Of course, it is not that great
of a picture, but it'd give you an idea of what he looks like in the cartoon.
Personally I think he looks a great deal better in the cartoon, but it could
just be due to the strange pose they have him in.

until next time, good luck and have fun
-Rich