Disney comics mailing list digest #2

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Apr 21 06:26:13 CEST 1993

Comments on the last digest:

	No, I don't like the idea of having some stories in old Barks comics real and some "imaginary". I meant that the EARLIEST stories
or versions of characters can be excused from the canon. As we all know, $crooge was originally only intended as a one-shot character,
then as only a minor supporting character... "the rest is history". While doing my "Life of $crooge" series I have found it necessary
to ignore a bare minimum of Barks' $crooge facts. I ignore the existance of the "magic hourglass" as being antithesis to everything
$crooge is (as is the fraudulent idea of a "lucky" #1 Dime). I ignore the story of $crooge having natives roughed up (as well as the
dates in that story). I ignore the date on the calendar in the flashback in "North of the Yukon" as being one year too late. And I
think I ignore some date pertaining to that "Ghosttown Railroad" story as being 10 years too early to be possible. Not only do I
not ignore any other facts, but the thing that I hope Barks fans will find amazing is that I incorporate ALL of them... every detail
of $crooge's past life, no matter how tiny the fact was or how buried it was in the third sentence of the sixth panel of an obscure
story, it's ALL incorporated into my series, set into granite forevermore, all available in one tale. (pant pant pant)
	And as for MY stories, the world that the Ducks live in IS the real world in every detail (except that the people have black noses).
I never make up silly names for cities, and I never use half-accurate gag names for historical figures. I have $crooge meet REAL folks
in his early life, and he lives in the real world of 1867-1947 with all places and dates absolutely 100% accurate. No screwing around!
It's all real.
	(Only the DUCKTALES stories are imaginary. I'd love to do a story where DUCKTALES is an unauthorized TV series in Duckberg based on
$crooge's life, and $crooge must sue the creators of the show for slander.)

	HARRY FLUKS: Jeepers -- I'm impressed! I didn't know how closely you worked with Tom Roep (whom I've never met). What all are you
involved in? And where are you?
	Yes, I didn't need Roep to tell me my art sucks. I dislike my art no end. But I'm no professional cartoonist.... I'm just another
Barks fan living a dream while they let me. I am constantly puzzled as to why my stories are SO popular, first in America, and now
the world over. Why don't people prefer all those NICELY drawn stories? The only answer I can see must involve my overly detailed
art.... readers seem to sense how much fun I'm having and how much extra work I put into every panel, and they enjoy it along with me ...?
Anyway, that's all I can figure.

	Gil Milburn: You're the guy from Bardstown? Have we met or been in contact before? Where are you now did you say? And thanks for
all the extraordinarilly nice things you say about me!!! I wish you could see me blushing. Yes, I constantly remind myself to never
take for granted the gift I've been given -- how many people get the chance to live their fondest dream, and even be some sorta success
at it?! That's one reason that I know Disney can never succeed in their constant meddling with the existance of these Dell characters
and with my career in handling them -- fate will not allow Disney to prevent me from writing and drawing these Ducks. They might
stop me now and then, but not for long, and I always come back.