Disney-comics digest #178.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed Dec 8 03:36:28 CET 1993

	Dear Folks,

	Two comments today.

	Mattias on my story in WDC&S 589
	======= == == ===== == ===== ===

	Gosh, I thought I made it clear that it was *John Clark*
who came up with the Danish pun on page 3...  I don't want to lay
claim to that kind of brilliance.
	For an example of a bit I'm proud of having thought of myself,
there's the literary pun on page 2 which ought to shock the Dickens
out of readers who caught it... ;-)
	All in all, I'm glad you liked the story.  But if you liked it,
you ought to *love* the story I rewrote for DDA 25, "The Hoard at the
Rainbow's End", coming up next month... it's far better.  But then,
like Don Rosa, I usually look at my older stories as less advanced...
in a year I'll probably look at the Rainbow story and find a million
things I coulda done with more style.

	Grandma Duck... why am I getting involved?
	======= ======= === == = ======= =========

	Please note that in Grandma's first appearance anywhere -- a
Taliaferro strip which was reprinted in 1987's WDC&S 522 -- Donald
refers to Grandma as such to the kids, then calls her "Grandma"
himself.  Ambiguous?  Yes.
	The same issue has an article on Taliaferro which states that
he based Grandma on his own mother in law.  If Taliaferro identified
with Donald, perhaps this says something.  And then maybe it doesn't.
	BECAUSE... please note the clincher.  The "definitive" Barks
Grandma story -- the one in 1950's Vacation Parade #1 -- may have been
written by an unknown, but it crystallized Grandma's comic book life
for good, as well as stablizing how she lived with Gus, and so forth
and so on.  Anyway, it is titled:

	DONALD'S GRANDMA DUCK.

	It couldn't be plainer than the... er, bill... on your face.

	Sincerely,

	David Gerstein

	"GUS!  Gus Goose!  Didn't I tell you to go out and beat the
carpet?"
	"Yes, Mum!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>