Gladstone comics list

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Jan 7 20:01:16 CET 1993

The Gladstone list
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the end of last year some people volunteered to contribute to our
Gladstone List. They asked for the issues left to be done, and the format
the list should have. I think it is best that one person coordinates
the list, me for instance (if you have problems with that, just tell me).
This could save us unnecessary double work, the use of different codes
for the same artists etc.
(Sorry I didn't start this before christmas, but I was very busy.)

Compiling the list
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~      "
Volunteers are Per Starback, Hannes Faestermann, Torsten W Adair, Andrew
Krieg. Of course, more volunteers are very welcome.

I suggest the following procedure:

1. e-mail to me the Gladstone issues you are working on or are planning to
   work on in the near future.
                                                                "
   The most recent list of 'to-be-done's (according to Per Starback):

   DD    268-272, 274-277
   DDA   1, 3-4, 6-7, 9-11, 13, 15-16, 18
   DT    1-13
   MM    (Per will do these)
   US    210-214, 216-219, 221-227, 229-234, 236-238, 240
   USA   1-3, 7-8, 10-13, 18-19
   WDC   512-516, 518-525, 527-530, 532-539, 542-545
   some specials
   Albums (Andrew will convert his list)

   (BTW: I plan to make a 'Disney Comics' comics list myself; well, only
   WDC, DDA and US; well, only the issues I have)

2. e-mail to me the parts of the list that are finished (I can do
   the format conversions, if necessary. E.g. Per's Digest list, and my
   own part need some layout changes)

3. in this mail I include a list of creators (writers, artists) and title
   characters. If you find an artist/character that is not mentioned yet,
   contact me for a unique abbreviation.

4. from time to time, I will post a list of issues to be done.

5. the first version of the Gladstone list could be finished by, let's
   say, april 1993 (?).
   Before posting to the list, the authors (the people named above and
   me) could review the finished list.
   Interim versions can always be obtained from me by e-mail request, by
   anyone.
   (Parts of) the list already sent to me should not be changed without
   my knowledge.

6. If you have any problems with 1.-5., let me know. I don't want to look
   like a dictator, but we have to have some rules.
   We could continue the discussion about the format of the list after we
   have finished the first version.

The layout of the list
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For every entry we list (on fixed positions, *NOT* using TABs):

1. (position 1) Code of Gladstone issue:
        CP     Christmas Parade
        DBP    Disneyland Birthday Party
        DD     Donald Duck
        DDA    Donald Duck Adventures
        GCA    Gladstone Album
        GG     Gladstone Giant
        MD     Mickey and Donald
        US     Uncle Scrooge
        USA    Uncle Scrooge Adventures
        USGD   Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland
        WDC    Walt Disney's Comics and Stories

2. (position 11) Number of pages, or
        FC = front cover
        CF = center fold
        PI = full page illustration
        IL = illustration ("the Gladstone that never was")

   A "+" indicates half a page more, so "6+" is six and a half pages.
   Number of pages is rounded to halves of pages.

3. (position 15) Code, this is the _exact_ code as seen in the story.
   If a story or cover has no code, a code can be added, e.g. if the
   original publication of a reprint is known.

4. (positions 27, 31, 35) Creators in three columns: writer, penciller,
   and inker.
   If writer not mentioned: writer unknown.
   If inker not mentioned: inker = penciler. If inker = '?': inker unknown.

   Creator + '?' means: uncertain.
   Creator + '+' means: the main creator listed wasn't alone.

5. (position 39) Title prefix and title or description.
   The title character is abbreviated, see the legend below.

   Title prefix:

   T: exact title (even a cover can have a title!)
   D: description from the contents page, if the story has no title
   O: own description, if T: and D: not available.

   Texts between [] after the title/description are comments.

Legend of title characters:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BB      The Beagle Boys
    BR      Brer Rabbit
    C&D     Chip 'n' Dale
    CC      Clara Cluck
    DA      Daisy (Duck)
    DD      Donald Duck
    GD      Grandma Duck
    GyG     Gyro Gearloose
    GO      Goofy
    HDL     Huey, Dewey and Louie
    HtW     Hazel the Witch
    JW      Junior Woodchucks
    LBW     Li'l Bad Wolf
    MM      Mickey Mouse
    MM SSA  Mickey Mouse Super Secret Agent
    MMM     The Marvelous Mad Madam Mim
    PB      The Phantom Blot
    PL      Pluto
    SC      Scamp
    US      Uncle Scrooge / Scrooge McDuck
    WtP     Winnie the Pooh
    Wuz     The Wuzzles

    M&D     Mickey and Donald
    M&G     Mickey and Goofy

Legend of creators:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AH      Al Hubbard
    AT	    Al Taliaferro
    BK      Bob Karp
    BMo	    Bob Moore
    BV      Ben Verhagen
    BW	    Bill Wright
    BWa     Bill Walsh
    CB	    Carl Barks
    CF      Carl Fallberg
    DB      Daniel Branca
    DC	    Don Christensen
    DCo     Del Connell
    DF      Don Ferguson
    DG      Don Gunn
    DJ      Daan Jippes
    DM	    Dick Moores
    DR      Don Rosa
    EL      Edwin Loftus
    FG	    Floyd Gottfredson
    FS	    Frank McSavage
    GL      Gary Leach
    GMa     Guido Martina
    GR	    George Roussos
    GT	    Gil Turner
    GW      George Waiss
    HB      Homer Brightman
    HE	    Harvey Eisenberg
    HKa     Hubie Karp
    HP      Hank Porter
    JB	    Jack Bradbury
    JC	    John Carey
    JCF     Jose Colomer Fonts
    JK      Jan Kruse
    JL	    John Liggera
    JLu     John Justig
    JM	    Jack Manning
    JU      John Ushler
    KC      Ken Champin
    KH      Ken Hultgren
    KW      Kay Wright
    LG      Luciano Gatto
    LH      Lee Hooper
    LM      Larry Mayer
    MGr     Marty Greim
    MN      Michel Nadorp
    MO      Morris Gollub
    MR      Mike Royer
    PA      Pete Alvarado
    PL      Phil de Lara
    PM      Paul Murry
    RG      Robert Gregory
    RM      Richard Moore
    RMi     Russ Miller
    RSc     Romano Scarpa
    RSh     Russell Schroeder
    RSt     Ruud Straatman
    RT      Riley Thompson
    SS      Steve Steere
    TO      Ted Osborne
    TS      Tony Strobl
    TT      Ted Thwaites
    TY      Tom Yakutis
    VB      Carl Von Buettner
    VR      Victor A. Rios (Vicar)
    VRe     Volker Reiche
    VRi     Vivie Risto
    WH      William Van Horn
    WK      Walt Kelly

Collaborations:
    B+H     CB + Jack Hannah
    B+R     CB + DR
    C+R     R. Cimino + RSc
    M+S     PM (Mickey and Goofy) + Dan Spiegle (the rest)
    F+S     Eric Freiwald + Robert Schaefer
    M+B     Merrill de Maris + CB
    M+J     Freddy Milton + DJ
    N+B     William F. Nolan + Charles Beaumont

Example of the list
MD  1     FC                  DJ      O:M&D, Merry Christmas box [remake of cover to FGA 1949]
MD  1      8  WDC&S 242       PM      T:MM The Trail to Treasure
MD  1      8  FGA 1949    CB  CB      T:DD in "New Toys"
MD  1      8  FGA 1949        BW      T:MM's Christmas Surprise
MD  1      4  AR 109      DR  DR      D:DD in "Fir-Tree Fracas"

Thanks in advance for everybody's cooperation!

--Harry.

e-mail: H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl