It's a duck-thang

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Wed Jun 2 02:26:59 CEST 1993

1)	Does discussion about Disney comics violate the charter of the
Comix discussion group?

2)	For those of you out there who cannot get enough of Disney comics
and discussion thereof, send an e-mail message to

	disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se

and ask to join.  The discussion is quite lively, and the information
available via FTP rivals the Junior Woodchucks manual!

Now, for my 2% of $1...

I read the old Disney comic books as a child during the middle Seventies.
The first MINT copy I bought were the original issues Gladstone
published back in 1987 or so.

I consider the Duck comic books published by Gladstone/Disney/Gold Key to
be the best work-for-hire stories done by any U.S. comics publisher.
Nobody produces more consistent quality than Disney et al.  Of course,
there are a lot of independent, creator owned titles out there, but for
mainstream newstand titles, no one matches Disney's quality.

Marvel will be distributing Gladstone's titles to newstands.  I can only
hope that Marvel will package these issues three to a bag, much like Gold
Key did many years ago, and sell them through toy stores, along with
Marvel's supehero titles.  If it is a perfect world, Disney will sell
these bags at their theme parks and Disney Stores.  Consider that most
Disney comics issues rarely continue from one issue to the next, and thus
are not perishable.  (The fact that Gladstone is re-re-reprinting stories
by Carl Barks is proof of Uncle Scrooge's longevity.)

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA