Garbled "Donald/Army" summary

Andrew Krieg 5-5379 krieg at ct.med.ge.com
Tue Jun 8 00:25:37 CEST 1993

>>I get
>>the idea that the sender had seen last week's DD TV special, "An Officer and
>>a Duck".
>>
>>	The cartoon was "The Vanishing Private" from 1943, in which Donald
>>paints himself invisible and eventually lands Pete in the looney bin.  One of
>>the better ones, I might add.  But the real surprise was 1944's "Commando
>>Duck," also shown (titleless) on the program.  THIS one has NOT BEEN SHOWN
>>ANYWHERE since 1944, but was inserted almost complete as a DREAM SEQUENCE in
>>the middle of "Sky Trooper," via a very obvious computer technique.  The
>>enemy, as you might have been able to tell by the music, was Japan, but the
>>(very few, reportedly) actual face shots of the Japanese were cut here.
>>Nonetheless, the picture was almost entirely complete.  Duck cartoon fans who
>>have now taped it should hang on, because it will probably be nowwhere else.

I'm not sure if this discussion belongs in the comics mailing list, but
here goes anyway...

"An Officer and a Duck" was released as a video tape around 8 years ago.
It was part of the Collector's Gold II series, I believe (I could check
my copy if anyone is really interested).  The cartoons on this tape are
often heavily edited when shown on the Disney Channel.  The one where
Donald contemplates suicide when he thinks he's cut himself in half, almost
always cuts the scene with the gun to the head (this is done to a lot of
old Warner Bros. cartoons as well, "Now I've seen everything..." BANG).
African American caricatures are often edited as well (black faces, etc).

I don't remember if the Japanese face shots are on this tape or not.  I do
know that the "How to Be a Sailor" short (Goofy) is intact on another tape
in that series, and does include Japanese caricatures.  I do recall "Sky
Trooper" being on the AOAAD tape, but I'm not so sure if "Commando Duck" is.

Andy