Barks' "Have Gun, Will Dance"

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed May 12 23:11:15 CEST 1993

	Dear Folks,

	Just so we know that Barks isn't perfect, I'll bring up "Have
Gun, Will Dance," which was published recently in DiDDA 38.

	If the Brutopian spy at the "Quintagon" had mailed his fellow
spies the plans to the laser gun, why did they need to steal more of
the guns for their revolution?  Wasn't the goal to get the plans so
they could make the guns themselves?

	If the ray gun offered by Oatie Floaties was just a model,
then why was it shooting a ray at all?  If the gun was made by the
official plans and they ACCIDENTALLY installed the ray device at the
cereal company, then why wasn't the ray's effect like that of the ray
in the real gun?

	And how did the spies, just in from Brutopia, suddenly
acquire an Oatie Floatie gun themselves?  Wouldn't that take THEM eons
of cereal-eating, too?  And what about the time it would take to mail
the things?

	Compared to Van Horn's "A Small Matter," THIS story was
bursting with flaws.  I have never seen another Barks story with
mistakes in it like this one had.

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein

	"This thing's as heavy as an old maid's heart = I can't budge
it!" -- Gottfredson, "Mickey Mouse, Circus Roustabout"