Fingers, Woodchucks, Gottfredson quotes

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Sun May 23 09:09:09 CEST 1993

Luigi:
> Why all the ducks, all Disney characters, and many many other
> comics people have FOUR FINGERS ???????

Don't they have *eight* fingers? :-)

Don Rosa:
> (...) and tried drawing their hats with the tails at the bottom --
> but I turned the hats into "exalted highttails" since the hats just
> don't LOOK right to me without the tails on the top. I see ALL JW
> caps now as being the "hightail" style... checking Barks stories
> will proove that.

It's true that there seems to be many hightails in the Junior
Woodchucks, at least in Duckburg, which is strange as exalted
hightails "is the next rank above ten-star generals", and HD&L, still
addressed as generals, seem to be pretty high up in the hierarchy:

 * They often command the troops.
 * I've never seen another kid being general.  When their titles are
given it's mostly colonel of sergeant.
 * In WDC 137 (even before HD&L became exalted hightails) a Junior
Woodchuck in Avalanche Valley thinks "A strange request!  But those
boys up there [HD&L] are *ten-star generals*!  They must have a good
reason!"

Even though there are lots of hightails in Barks's stories, certainly
not all of them are.  The kid I recently quoted isn't and in WDC 253
only HD&L are hightails, to name a few examples.  BUT..., there is
something strange about all this, because in WDC 125, where Junior
Woodchuckism debuts, HD&L wear hightail caps, and they certainly
weren't hightails by then.  Somehow I get the impression that Barks
thought it natural to draw the caps like that, and only added the
hightail thing later to have an excuse for drawing the caps like
that...  In WDC 243 where Donald has a similar cap it looks rather
hightail-y too (that story has nothing to do with JW though).

David:
> So the [Gottfredson quote quiz is] a tie, with Per and Harry each
> getting 3-1/2 points.

Very exciting, even though that should have been 3 points, as we only
should get half a point each for question #8.

> However, if the quotes got you reading Gottfredson again, my dirty
> plot is revealed.  :-)  To quote Magica de Spell:  "Hee, hee, hee!"

Oh no, you got me! :-)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Ta ta, boys!  I'll see you in the funny papers!"