Disney-comics digest #147.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu Nov 4 21:02:03 CET 1993

	Hi, Folks!

	Glad to have you back, Harry!  Quite a lot has gone on while
you were away, no?

	You said:

	"The 43th issue of the Weekly Donald Duck this year contained
a very funny story drawn by Ben Verhagen. Also, it had a 3-D album as
a bonus. It was a copy of Disney's 3-D comic, but it only contained
one Van Horn story."

	First, do you have any more information on that Verhagen
story?  Then... DISNEY'S COMICS IN 3-D #1 only had *one* Van Horn
story, that being the story "The Billion Bean Stampede."  There was
one reprint apiece from Van Horn, Rosa, and Gottfredson, and the only
artist to have *two* stories in the book was -- predictably -- Carl
Barks.  (The two stories were "Rocket Wing Saves the Day" and "Knights
of the Flying Sleds").

	The Heymans Birthday story I'm doing is not the one you mentioned,
although I actually would really like to do that one as well...  The
story I'm dealing with is about Gladstone and Daisy secretly planning
a birthday surprise for Donald, who believes they're planning
*marriage* and sets out to sabotage the blessed event.  I discovered
it in one of the Dutch issues you sent me, thank you very much!

	The reason we will always see re-re-re-re-re-reprinted Barks
stories as opposed to reprinted Dutch stories is that aside from Don
Rosa *no* Duck artist's sales compare remotely to Barks stories in this
country, as long as they aren't Barks stories which were in earlier
Gladstone or Disney comics.  Albums *don't count*.  We should expect to
see nearly *all* the Barks stories that were in the 1986-1990
Gladstone Albums used again in the comics over the next two years or
so...  Of course, Gladstone will give a fair shake to foreign stories
that *haven't* appeared here before, but it is believed that reprints
of those would sell very poorly.

	As for puns in Dutch stories, the upcoming Dutch story "The
Hoard at the Rainbow's End" provided me with a lot that were just
untranslatable, most of them on the sides of rare coin banks in
Scrooge's collection.  I substituted my own in a few spots, but others
I just had to delete as I knew no way to put them into English.

	Still:  I think that "Rainbow's End" is one of my best dialogs
and I hope you'll give it a fair trial, folks, even if you don't like
my first one, "Bugged by Humbug";  looking at it now, I find the
dialog on the first and seventh pages rather stilted...

	Well, that's all for now, folks.

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein

	"A flire!  A frier!  I must shave the women and children!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>