A word from Mickey on his birthday

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Nov 19 02:34:48 CET 1993

	Dear Folks,

	This may sound a little bit outta th' ordinary, but I'm
writing in through my pal David Gerstein's E-Mail hookup mainly t'
reply to my #1 fan Chris Lawton.  (I'll also have David, who -- mebby
it's a little funny -- *also* says he's my #1 fan, send this thing to
th' digest... I wonder what folks are gonna think!)

	Hot Diggety Dog!  But ya sure had a lotta swell things to say
about me on my anniversary.  A minor correction when it comes to
"Steamboat Willie" -- I didn't rescue Minnie from Pete, just enjoyed
her company.  Fer once in his life the big bellowing hippopotamus
didn't try t' bother her -- but as always, he thought o' *me*
diff'rently!

	When ya started gettin' into all th' things I represent and
stand for, I was startin' to wonder if I shouldn't bring your letter by
Doctor Einmug an' see if he could sort it out.  I'm glad that ya
admire me, but darned if I can figger out just *why!*  If ya look up
t' me, though, I've got just one bit of advice.  It's like I once said
to Minnie:  "Sometimes when ya've got a big thing to do, ya hafta
swallow hard and say t' yourself that the *mail must go through!*  And
before ya know it -- the job's *done!*  And ya feel just *swell!*"

	Just since ya think I represent all those things, though, ya
gotta admit I don't always live up to 'em before you think I'm perfect
or something!  Once I thought that Minnie was gonna leave me
for Mr. Slicker... I was wrong, but I got myself so worked up I almost
*ended* it once and fer all!  Then there was th' time that I left Pete
out in th' desert when he'd got himself a Foreign Legion job and made
me hike out there!  Fer gosh sakes, before long I knew I'd made a
mistake!  Even if ya can't respect y'r enemies (who *can* if they're
like Pete?), you can stop yerself before ya do something *drastic* to
'em!  And I ought t' know that as sure as anyone.

	If ya want t' celebrate my birthday, then do one of these
things.  First, write a letter t' my pals at Gladstone sayin' how ya'd
like t' see me get a comic of my own again!  Then (if ya c'n *afford*
it) go get yourself that set of laser discs with my old
black-and-white cartoons on 'em.  And then just sit back and read some
of my adventures over a snack of some good cheese!  Minnie's favorite
is Swiss, and mine is Cammemm^[[D Camemm^[[D Camembur^[[D (Oops!)
Well, I like Swiss, too.

	Your pal,

	Mickey Mouse!

	"You know, Mickey, I think Don Rosa is going to think that
this letter is really the kind of thing that ought to go on
rec.arts.disney!  It lacks that critical sophistication..."