+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #164.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Nov 22 15:17:05 CET 1993

Mark:
	Is Fleetway still publishing the Disney comics in the UK?
	Egmont (Gutenberghus) had always published the UK Disneys until
a few years ago when media-mogul Rupert Murdoch managed to power the
Disney license away from Egmont (not easy, since Egmont is no slouch)
and give it to his Fleetway comics. This was pretty irritating for
Egmont after they had created and nurtured the UK Disney comics for so
long. So... Egmont bought Fleetway. Now, Fleetway is still publishing
the UK Disneys, but Fleetway is Egmont.
	The problem is that about a year or so ago when this happened,
the UK Disneys all started over with new titles and first issues, and
were put in the hands of people who knew even LESS about Disney comics
than when Disney took the American license away from Gladstone. A
constant source of irritation with my Copenhagen editors seems to be how
the UK people louse up the comics, mostly through sheer carelessness.
Hopefully it will get better.

Torsten:
	The identity of the "guy" in Lo$ part 3 is intended NOT to be
known by any readers except the adults or otherwise bright ones. All the
clues are there...that guy actually DID have a ranch in the western
Dakota Territory in 1882 when $crooge was there, and he did all the
other things I say he did. When they go back to the original script in
the American editions, the "guy's" dialogue will be paraphrased from his
actual writings and speeches. Wouldn't you say he was the IDEAL person
in all of history that $crooge could have gotten inspiration from?! And
when my research told me that he and $crooge were in the Badlands at the
exact same time, it was irresistably obvious to base the tale on.
	As for that scenery, there are sections of the Dakota Badlands
that include all of the elements I used in the backgrounds. But they
occur NOWHERE all TOGETHER as I depict them, particularly in that
half-page shot. That was the ol' artistic license.