Favourites and non-favourites

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Sun Oct 3 10:09:48 CET 1993

As for worst stories I don't know.  Probably it's something I've
forgotten all about.

David chose "Southern Hospitality" (DDOS 379) and wrote:
> For dragging a Barks character into such a childish story, the
> unknown scripter gets one raspberry, and [...]

It's Del Connell, according to Becattini.

> The above is, I believe, also the first long adventure to use
> Scrooge that wasn't done by Barks, thus setting the stage for a lot
> of pretty tepid such stories.

Scrooge is also in the earlier "Rags to Riches" (DDOS 356), and I
think that is the first one unless he also appears in "DD and the
Magic Fountain" (DDOS 339) which I can't check.

Harry:
> I remember a LOT of VERY BAD Italian stories, and a few good ones:
> Scrooge in search of a fish for a 'kaibi' bird, featuring something like
>   'the Flying Dutchman';

Ah, I like that one too.  (It's in Kalle Ankas Pocket 4 in Sweden,
published in 1969.  Well, really it says MCMXIX, but I don't believe
that!)  The bird just eats half a fish a week.

> And [in Italian comics] Scrooge has dollars in his money bin.
> Does that mean that Duckburg is in the USA, even in the Italian translations?
> (In Holland, Duckburg is in some undefined country, but they pay in
> guilders.)

In Sweden it's also in some undefined country, but they use Swedish
crowns.  In German they use "Taler" which is the etymological
counterpart to dollars and helps to set the Duckburgian world apart I
guess.

I also wonder who this Cavazzano is.  How come Luigi lists him as
his favourite author next to Barks and Topi says that anything by
Cavazzano is the worst?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "I forgot to say that Kitty only eats fish cut lengthwise!"