Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland (Again)

Chris Lawton clawton at tfs.COM
Tue Oct 5 17:51:25 CET 1993

>Dear Folks,

>Chris Lawton asked why on the cover of USA #22 Scrooge was
>visiting an amusement park, but that had nothing to do with the
>stories inside.  I'll explain:  This cover originally appeared eight
>years ago on Gladstone's first published comic book, a giant called
>"UNCLE SCROOGE GOES TO DISNEYLAND."  That reprinted in its entirety a
>Dell Giant of thirty years before *that*.  The only change was in the
>cover;  instead of reprinting the Dell cover, Gladstone had
>someone named Mel Crawford *paint* a version of the same drawing.
>Beautiful result!

Interesting...

>Now that it's been so long since that painting was first used,
>Gladstone obviously concluded that it was high time they used it
>again.  Sure, Disneyland isn't related to any story in USA #22...
>*but* the painting includes *Mickey* and Gladstone wanted to emphasize
>that Mickey was in the issue (in the story, "Uncle Scrooge Meets the
>Phantom Blot," originally printed as "Culprits Inc.").

Aha!  Well, that explains this issue. :)

>It's easy to tell why Gladstone didn't mind re-using it.
>Compared to the dismal printing quality that made the painting muddy
>when it appeared in 1985, USA #22 does it real justice.

>A good issue, no?  I thought Esteban's Danish story was one of
>the best I've seen in this country...

Agreed.  This is a very good issue.  I think I like the latest Donald &
Mickey better, though.  Goofy as King Midas is great!  (Although Mickey seems
to be in just a co-starring role here...)  I absolutly *loved* the background
gags!  All the way through the story I kept saying to myself "This stuff is
great!  So bizzare!".  Then when I got to the end and read that one of the
authors (I don't have the issue here at work with me so I can't remember which
one it is) used to work on MAD Magazine.  That explains the style.

Great fun!

>David Gerstein

>"The only way to get ahead of Mickey Mouse is to *run* in
>*front* of him!"
><David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>

>P. S.  Chris, what happened to your traditional signature?
>Aren't you still with me as Mickey's other 'Number One Fan'??

Of course!  Just last time was the first post in awhile (I've been lurking
though...) I thought I'd use my last name to just let everybody remember it.

Chris	Mickey's #1 Fan!! :) :)

P.S. 	November 18 is considered Mickey's Birthday. (65! I sure hope he
doesn't retire!)  When was his comic strip debut? (I believe people have said
this before but I can't remember and didn't write it down. Oh well...)