Disney-comics digest #127.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Thu Oct 14 05:25:40 CET 1993

COMMENTS TO #127:

Bjorn:
	You have me sorta like perplexed. First you mildly criticized me
(which I welcome!) for drawing so many modern buildings in my scene of
"ancient" Constantinople; when I told you that it was a scene of modern
Istanbul and why did you assume it was an ancient scene, you replied
that you knew it was a scene from before 1204 since there were NO modern
buildings. (????)
	Just to be specific: my original caption stated clearly that the
scene was MODERN ISTANBUL. However, if you didn't see any 1990
structures, keep in mind that in MY stories, "modern times" is the mid
1950's when my stories are taking place.

Andy:
	More confusion! You seem to have me confused with that Barks
fella. HE'S the one who did the steamboat story where they burned the
steamboat for fuel. I didn't do that in "Master of the Mississippi"...
at least I don't recall doing that!
	But did BARKS get the idea from the movie? No, the movie came
out in '57, and Barks' story appeared in '55. But the Jules Verne story
was first published sometime EARLIER - gosh, maybe 1952 - and...
actually I'd need to check to make sure that scene was in the book
before I say for certain... I've never read it. After all, I'm an
American.
	Comments on one of my all-time favorite TV shows, "The Beverly
Hillbillies". The creator and head writer of that show came from here in
Louisville. I grew up on that series in my formative years, and I'm sure
there's bits of it in my work. But I never saw any $crooge in Drysdale.
However, strange you should bring it up, but GRANNY always reminded me
of $crooge. She was old and stooped and tiny and cranky and
old-fashioned and very, very rich. I thought THAT'S who you were going
to mention.
	By the way, I'm NOT going to see the new BH movie! Jim Varney as
Jed? And the TV previews have the Hillbillies stopping to pick up a
squashed squirrel for making "roadkill stew". THAT is not the BH.