Comments on what Geir wrote

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Wed Oct 20 15:20:37 CET 1993

> Hi Per, jag lyssnar till Roxette nu som jag skriver dessa ord...
Hej sj{lv, det g|r inte jag. And now for something completely different:

First Geir found it disturbing that Norway was "translated" into a
make-believe country in the Norwegian translation of Lemming with the
Locket,
> when it obviously must have been much funnier for the Norwegian
> children that Donald & Co. were visiting their country! Sure I wish to
> know the reason, but it will never be found.

Isn't that self-evident?  It would be very puzzling for all those kids
who envisioned the ducks as living in Norway.  (Sweden is also mentioned
once in the Barks canon by the way.  Do you all know where?)

On Barks's language again:
> [...]
> These were just a few examples that goes to show that Barks was
> incredibly thorough in his work. His language was a thorough working
> through the language he was served that day.

Of course he was thorough.  I certainly didn't mean it as critique
when I thought that Barks's stories "wasn't that up-to-date, but
rather had a special feel to it".  I don't think that necessary would
be bad in any way.

Earlier Geir asked about
> a new writer / artist who has had two series published, that
> looked almost exactly like Barks. If I didnt know all of Barks,
> I would have believed it was him! Who is he?

me> Well, what stories were they?  The most Barks-like items I've seen in
me> recent books are Daan Jippes reinkings of Barks's Woodchuck stories,
me> but I guess you include these in all-of-Barks?

When you described the two stories it turned out they were exactly the
ones I sort of guessed you meant, that is some of Barks's Junior
Woodchuck stories from the early 70's reinked by Jippes.

I guess you didn't know all of Barks after all... :-)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"