+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #139.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 27 13:50:55 CET 1993

Again with prodding me about having Mickey exist in the Duck universe!
Why should you care? Let everybody else put him in THEIR Duck universe
and leave him out of mine. The reference Barks made to Donald calling up
a "Mickey" might have been Mickey Schwartz for all I know; but even if
Donald had SAID "Mickey MOUSE", I wouldn't care -- that was Barks. I'm
me. In my stories mice are little rodent scavangers that run around
behind the furniture and get caught in traps and that's all they'll ever
be. My stories feature people who, for some reason, have three fingers
and black noses. A very few of the people have pig-like noses and ears.
Another minority greatly resemble Ducks; I can't explain WHY they look
like that, but in my eyes they are human beings. Very possibly most/all
other Disney or Disney comics fans like the characters because they are
"funny animal" characters. I DON'T LIKE funny-animals. Mickey Mouse is
one of those funny animal critters, though less so than, say, the Warner
Brothers stable. But Barks' characters, to MY eyes, have always been
human beings. I hesitate to even try to explain it all THIS much -- it
should suffice to say that I will NEVER use this mouse character in MY
stories, so quit trying to get me to "listen to reason".

Mattais (and I never know if I have the 'a' and 'i' in the right order,
so forgive me -- I don't see that name in Kentucky very much):
	Keep in mind that I'm tellin' ya that where I stick Duckberg is
just where *I* stick it. I don't require anyone to agree with me. But in
part 11 of the "Life of $crooge" series (and I may have already
mentioned this?) I begin the story with a map which, if you compare the
coastline with a map, PINPOINTS Duckburg. My comic world and the actual
world are identical EXCEPT... the section of California north of Santa
Rosa is Calisota; on the bay opposite Eureka is Duckburg on the Tulebug
river (and right now I can't recall if there IS a river there which I
renamed or if I just dug a fresh one). Again, as with the years the
stories take place, I don't show this CLEARLY... you'd hafta get out an
atlas and locate the coastline yourself... but that's where MY Duckburg
is. Any reference Donald ever made to South Burbank or Catalina or
anything else... I simply ignore. There can't be a city as big as
Duckburg in that area... and if there were, it couldn't SNOW there. (And
don't anybody tell me it doesn't snow in Eureka -- I don't wanna know
that. (Anyway, I guess I've eliminated the existance of Eureka and all
the Eurekans anyway... because of $crooge's develepment of Duckburg,
Eureka was never settled or it died out.)
`