Accents in word balloons (was: Voices)

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Tue Sep 28 07:57:06 CET 1993

Per Starback  <starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE> writes:

> Torsten:
> > The easiest way to denote an accent in writing is to change da spellin' uv
> > da letturz so dat da readurz kin undahstands dat chur writin' in, uh,
> > di-uh-lekt, and not Uhmurican.
>
> Such comic book spellings are not common at all in Sweden (I guess
> they are afraid the kids won't learn to spell properly if they read
> too much of it), but I think they add colour to the dialogues.

Brer Bear used to speak with some Swedish equivalent of hillbilly
accent (V{sterg|tland? Sm}land?) in the fifties. Oddly enough, I
think he was the only one in those Li'l Bad Wolf stories who spoke
like that. Anyway, it did add colour and it's a pity they changed
it.

Anders Engwall				Email: Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
ELLEMTEL Utvecklings AB			Voice: +46 8 727 3893
[lvsj|, Sweden				Fax: +46 8 727 42 20
		K\R UT JORDINGARNA! - Gr|nt Marsianskt Motst}nd