FAQ's, Lurkers, and unsubscribers

h.j.bjornhaug@admin.uio.no h.j.bjornhaug at admin.uio.no
Fri Apr 22 16:40:55 CEST 1994

Tryg writes:

   Since joining the list, I've seen numerous references to the lurkers
   as to why they don't participate.  Of the approximately 100 subscribers,
   it seems like no more than a dozen regularly post messages.

   When I first joined I was overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge that the
   regular participants displayed on Disney comics.  I was reluctant to
   post messages as I felt I had nothing to add to the topic at hand.
   After a while, though, I decided that if I wasn't going to participate I
   would rather not be here.  So I started posting messages even if my
   facts were shaky.  I know now that I will never achieve the depth of
   knowledge that the regulars have on the subject, but yet I want to ba an
   active participant in the list.

   Now I would bet that the other lurkers out there have at least as much
   and, no doubt, more to contribute than I do, but for one reason or
   another choose not to participate.  Some just don't have the time, and
   others may not care to post messages.  I'll bet, though, that there are
   others who would like to participate but feel intimidated by the
   experts.  I would guess that eventually they just give up and ultimately
   join the ranks of the unsubscribed.

I've been lurking here since last summer, and this is my first posting.
I'm not at all intimitated by any of our experts, and I see no reason
to unsubscribe just because I don't contribute. Like Tryg did at first,
I haven't contributed because I haven't had anything relevant to add,
especially when I have to add it in English, and my sources (read:
Disney comics) are not located where my computer access is.

But I'll be back.

--- Helge J. Bjornhaug (slash that o, please)  H.J.Bjornhaug at admin.uio.no
Universitatis Osloensis