Why I stopped buying Disney

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Aug 22 10:23:17 CEST 1994

Andrew P. wrote:
> The editorial quality dropped.  When you read a Gladstone comic, you could
> always tell from the letters columns and articles that the people cared about
> the artistic value of Disney Comics.

They improved on that later, when lots of letters from David Gerstein
were published... 8-)

> In my opinion, the writing and art took a turn for the worse.  They used
> almost exclusively people that I had never heard of before (with the
> exception of DDA #1).  A look at the credits in Disney's first WDC&S shows
> Les Lilley, Victor Arriagada Rios, George Beal, Julio Ramos, Jack Sutter, and
> Fernandez.  I haven't heard of one of these people!

This is one thing I liked about Disney Comics in the beginning: they published
the (full) names of those "Danish" (Egmont) artists. Gladstone had always
published the stories, without credits. Later I heard that Egmont wouldn't
give the credits at first, but that they later changed their mind,
coincidentally at the moment Disney took over in the USA.

It was the first time I saw the *real* name of Vicar (V.A.Rios), he has been
(in)famous since the early 70s.

Of course, this didn't make me *buy* Disney Comics...

--Harry.