Disney-comics digest #418.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 30 05:47:57 CEST 1994

WILMER:
	It was a LUNAR eclipse that Columbus predicted for the Jamaican
natives, if that makes a difference.

	As for how old Grandpa Beagle is, yes, I know it's a problem,
but it's not one of my creation. In Barks' story of $crooge's riverboat
days, he shows Blackheart Beagle "and his brawling sons". I'm certain
Barks intended those sons to be the same Beagles that $crooge was
currently facing, and I knew I could get away with sticking one extra
generation in there when no one was looking, but not two. I guess I
could try to get away with rewording the dialogue in chapter 12 to say
that the old guy therein is "Pa Beagle" rather than "Grandpa"... but
this knocks the stuffing out of the point in using the character, as
well as my efforts in tying Blackheart and the "Grandpa" in "The Money
Well" all into the same framework. There was no room in $crooge's
history for him to be involved with FOUR generations of Beagles. I guess
I've just got myself stuck with a very OLD "Grandpa Beagle" -- I just
hope no readers try to add up his age.

HARRY:
	Is my Coot Dutch? I guess he could be, if you like. Why not?
Maybe he had a Dutch accent in "His Majesty McDuck" -- it's hard enough
to show ANY sort of accent in written dialogue, much less a Disney comic
book where it's currently held as politically incorrect. Besides, I
wouldn't know what a Dutch accent sounds like anyway.
	Yes, in chapter 11 of the "Lo$", when I am making sure that I
mention EVERY single job that Barks ever stated that $crooge performed
in his early years, I DO mention selling wind to the windmill makers
along the Zuyder Zee. But all I could do was mention it and pass over it
quickly -- it was the silliest aspect of $crooge's life that I forced
myself to deal with. I can see $crooge selling lawnmowers in Arabia,
whether they had a use for them... but $crooge can't sell wind any more
than he could have sold maps to Marco Polo as Barks once stated. But be
sure, I mentioned $crooge in Holland!

THORE:
	We all know that Eric the Red (or Olaf the Blue) sailed to the
"New World", but I made sure I included "discovered and OPENED UP"
America when I referred to Columbus. Regardless of who found this
continent first, no one got it into the newspapers or on TV until
Columbus did so, that's why he's regarded as the true discoverer. To
discover something then LOSE it again doesn't count for much in the long
run.