Dutch influence on English

M. Mitchell Marmel marmelmm at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Tue Dec 13 21:37:03 CET 1994

>Dutch be a non-nationality.  Well, maybe "dutch oven" or "dutch doors",
>but in a modern household, who sees those any more.

Well, you do have Dutch Masters cigars and Old Dutch cleanser...

>they wear wooden shoes.  Of course, the English word for a wooden
>shoe is "sabot",

French, actually, I think.

>"the damage done to machinery by wooden shoes").  So Dutch is definitely
>a dirty word in English!

Oddly enough, Ronald Reagan's nickname is "Dutch".  Coincidence?  I think
not.  (evil grin)

Mitch
M. Mitchell Marmel                \ Scattered, smothered, covered, chunked,
Drexel University                  \ whipped, beaten, chained and pierced.
Department of Materials Engineering \ *THE BEST HASHBROWNS IN THE WORLD!*
Fibrous Materials Research Laboratory\   marmelmm at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu