Norwegian index

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Thu Dec 15 14:18:12 CET 1994

Fredrik Ekman wrote:

> Jorgen:
[...]
> The only main difference I can
> find between your format and Harry's is that you specifically note
> continuation stories. (Or do you have a proposed standard for that and I
> just missed it, Harry?)

The new - improved! - version of the index (soon to be reviwed!) includes
a '[part N]' tag in those cases. Just like in the Western index, btw.

> The extras may be a bit of a problem, but Anders
> should face the same sooner or later. How do you handle that, Anders?

Extras? Like those facsimiles of old issues that have been included
occasionally? In those cases I just added a bit of text, e.g.
'91-48 was delivered with a facsimile of 48-03'.

> Anders:
> How do you currently handle Swedish characters?

With a, a and o. Which means titles can't *automatically* be converted to
Latin-1...

> We should see about
> fixing up a standard for this and like I have mentioned before, I would
> be willing to "correct" those entries that currently consist of a, a and
> o respectively just as soon as we have settled for something.

You are aware that this means quite a lot of work, right? That's the un-
fortunate consequence of me starting to index before such a standard
was settled. Sorry 'bout that.

> Desciding on the standard first, I see two possible alternatives.
>
> 1) Using }{|][\. This is what Ole is currently using. It conforms to some
> ISO standard, but I forget which. It simplifies handling a lot but
> generally looks extremely ugly since today few terminals actually convert
> these to the proper characters.

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually old enough to have learnt reading text
with these characters...

> 2) Latin-1. There is very little problem with submissions being according
> to alternative 1 and then convert them to alternative 2.

Little problem indeed. I therefore suggest we start with alt. 1. A minor
drawback is that '[' and ']' are used to delimit comments, which would make
the conversion program a little trickier. This may also make the ASCII
version trickier to read.

> Are there other sensible alternatives?

Don't think so.

Anders Engwall				Email: Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
ELLEMTEL Utvecklings AB			Voice: +46 8 727 3893
[lvsj|, Sweden				Fax: +46 8 727 42 20
Brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt brullt