Updates for the US Index

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Mon Feb 21 03:22:55 CET 1994

On Sun, 20 Feb 1994 17:32:25 -0500, David A Gerstein wrote:

>	I downloaded the file "us" -- the index of US 1-83 -- onto my
>computer, and added the Gladstone and Disney data from our other
>index.  What should I do with the file now?  Do people want it?  Do
>they think I should upload it, or do you feel the Gladstone-Disney.Index
is enough?

Wow!  That was fast!  I don't know about others, but I would like to see it.
I thought about this a bit, and came to the conclusion that even if the
information is in the Gladstone index, it is not sorted by original title.
I would guess that Per could just replace the existing lists with your
updated versions.

>	A few interesting things.  A lot of the Scrooge long
>adventures have been reprinted four times as of now (prior to the
>beginning of CBLUSA albums next fall), not counting the Celestial Arts
>book or the older, hardback CBLs.  One has actually been heaved onto
>the press FIVE times -- yes, "The Midas Touch."

Yeah, I noticed that certain stories get re-used quite frequently while
others seldom get reprinted.  I'm sure Gladstone has thier reasons, but
it would be nice to have a more even distribution on reprints.

>On the other hand, I think that while people may buy a 10-pager in a comic
>and then again in an album (where it comes with four other stories, which
>the reader might not own), they may be less likely to do the same with
>a long story.  Most albums in the CBL series will have 2 long adventures,
>I'm thinking.  People will be able to get those adventures without buying
>the CBL albums, simply by buying 2, not 5, regular comics.  I'm worried
>this may hurt the sales of the new albums...

I would like to see other material (non-Barks stuff) in the regular
comics.  (How many copies of a story does one need anyhow?)  I don't know
about other folks, but I'm running out of space to put all this stuff and
am going have to consider either clearing out some of the stuff I already
have, or stop buying new stuff.

>...	(That's not to say that no Italian stories will be used -- in
>fact some are scheduled by Gladstone now, but they can't be used too
>often since they take up a lot of space and must be serialized)

I wouldn't mind serialization if it means getting stories I haven't seen
before...

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes