Updates for the US, WDC, and other Indices

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Feb 21 16:00:42 CET 1994

I wrote:
me> I think I'll start programming and finding out the right format of the
me> "master database".

and Tryg replied:
TH> With all this redundant (and possibly conflicting) information, a database
TH> certainly seems like the way to go.  Were you guys contemplating "growing
TH> your own" database system, or using a commercially available one?

I was thinking about plain ASCII. In that way, we don't need to worry about
transferring strange file formats through the net. And the data entry could
be done with one's favourite ASCII editor.

TH> I had thought of restructuring the info
TH> into several tables and loading them into a Paradox database.

I have some bad experiences with Paradox... it does a lot of things, but
sometimes not exactly what I want. If I write my own programs, they always
do EXACTLY what I want... 8-)

TH> (But then, I don't have any more free time than you do...)

I do have some free time at the moment. So don't be surprized if I come with
a "master database" one of these days.

--Harry.

Harry         PTT Research       ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
Fluks         Leidschendam        (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl

              "Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"