Donald dailies in DD 284.

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sat Feb 26 23:32:24 CET 1994

(message from David A Gerstein on Sat, 26 Feb 1994 12:52:39 -0500):

>	He also mentioned a few gaps in dates.  Maybe Disney has
>banned some strips... but most probably those gaps are where there
>were SUNDAYS!  (Not Sundays with a DD strip printed, since there was
>no Sunday strip in 1938.)

The gaps seem to be: 2/13, 2/20, 2/27, 3/3, 3/6, and 3/13.

All of these dates (except for March 3rd which was a Thursday) were
Sundays in 1938.  So it looks like there is only one missing strip.

>	And BTW, I remembered wrongly that the dailies began in Jan.
>'38.  We'll know if these are the first dailies if the first week
>includes:
>
>	A)  Donald feeding seals at the circus (accidentally)
>	B)  Donald climbing a mountain
>	C)  Donald trying to hang a picture and failing.

These are the 1st, 2nd, and 4th strips in 284.. :-)  (the 3rd, dated
Feb 9th, involves Donald fixing a flat tire.)

>	D)  Donald takes a bath in the sidecar of a police motorcycle,
>after filling it with water, only to end up in jail.
>
>	This seems like prime banning material, but Disney didn't used
>to have it banned (Gladstone did run it circa 1989), and they've let a
>lot of strips run in recent DDs where Donald ended in jail.  Is this
>among the reprints this issue?

Yup!