London...

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at DI.UniPi.IT
Thu Jan 27 11:46:09 CET 1994

Fredrick wrote

>Yeah. That sounds just like London.
>
>I was there last summer, and one of the first things I stumbled upon
>was some issue of a weekly Mickey Mouse that featured not only "The
>Bees Have It" by William Van Horn, but also one of Jippes' re-drawn
>JW stories. However, the only copy at that store was quite battered,
>so I decided to find a better one.
>
>Really stupid idea.
>
>For three whole days I searched. Well, I didn't ONLY do that, but
>whenever I passed a store that seemed even remotely likely to carry
>Disney mags, I dived in to check them out. Even at the comic department
>of Virgin Megastore (one of the very few comic shops I found) they
>only had the Gladstone albums. And when I finally did find another
>English Mickey, it was a new issue. No Van Horn. No Jippes.
>
>And this leads me to a question to our English member: How on earth
>can them Fleetway, or whatever their name, survive in a country where
>noone sells their comics? Why, judging from my own experiences, this
>even seemed worse than US! In the US, there will at least BE a comic
>shop somewhere along the road. And, most probably, somewhere in that
>comic shop there will be a few Disneys in some dusty corner. But in
>England, I didn't even see that.

Well, as for Fleetway, they are doing so much money with Dredd and similar
things, that I think they do not really care about Disney.
Besides, they are part of a very big company, and you know what happen to
little businness in a big company...

Back to London. There are a lot of big comics shops in London, some of them
not so far from Virgin megastore, such as Forbidden Planet.
Next time, you should buy the Comics Weekly, where you can find a lot of
ads and addresses (btw, I think that The Comics Weekly is also advertized
in the English section of the Diamond's Preview)

Fabio

Fabio Gadducci            Dip. di Informatica
Home: +39-50-541725       Universita` di Pisa
Off.: +39-50-510268       Corso Italia 40, 56100 PISA (ITALY)
FAX:  +39-50-510226       E-mail:gadducci at di.unipi.it