Various comments to Don

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Tue Jun 21 08:00:53 CEST 1994

DON!

    I hope Arizona was good for walking, if not for stalking, and that
you and your wife has had a great time! I don't think I need to tell
you in any detail what I think of dear Mr Grandey (don't wanna give
HIM cause for any lawsuit against ME); and I'm equally sure you know
I'll be cheering you all the way, if and when you take that McViper
fella to the cleaners!!!

But for now, lets rather talk about that of your work which I've
lately come across, but as yet not commented upon. And this time, It
seems to me I might concentrate more on critique, than on praise --
though I hope it is what someone recently called TCC (Thoughtful
Constructive Critique); 'cause I certainly did enjoy these stories
through and through, believe me!

Guardians of the Lost Library
=============================

This'n is a beaut! and my main point of criticism is more of a
philosophical one, than directed against the story, which is indeed
marvelous. My quarrel, though, is with the Junior Woodchucks' "highest
ideal", that of "preservation of knowledge". Preservation is just the
right word, though -- as in e.g. preserved rutabagas! What they seem
to mean by preservation is to bottle knowledge up real tight, and then
limit access to Junior Woodchucks ONLY! This might seem OK, as long as
their aim is to "protect the guidebook /which, as your story goes to
show, is more or less the condensed libraries of all mankind/ from
being exploited to make a profit". Sure -- but who'd profit by the
lost works of Aristotle, f'rinstance, or all the rest of what must be
the bulk of the guidebook? Except mankind, of course -- to whom that
knowledge truly would belong, did that guidebook actually exist. I
mean, I'm well aware that we're discussin' a work of fiction (and a
COMIC BOOK ditto, to boot! /Sorry -- jes' kiddin'/) here, but as long
as the guidebook was "just" the guidebook, and the wellspring of its
fountain of knowledge remained mysterious, the Woodchuck attitude
towards the guidebook was tenable, but with your story added, that
attitude becomes IMHO downright immoral. What right have they to
deprive their fellow beings of all that historical and other
knowledge? -- and wouldn't museums all over the world benefit, for no
reason of profit, from finding all those "lost treasures", that
$crooge is after?!

Well, I got meself a bit carried away there -- but I AM an historian
myself, after all, with that profession's attitude towards sources and
sourcematerial, and the historians access to it..

The Duck Who Never Was (Norwegian edition)

I've nothing but praise for this'n -- and I really can't see why the
Swedish editors wouldn't use it (BTW: Knut -- I haven't forgotten that
I still owe you for that'n; I'm just a little low on funds, and
waiting for payday!). A very nicely twist of a story, and full of
little details; like f'rinstance how you use your own version of the
family tree, when Gus explains how he is related to $crooge, and where
$crooge's sister only has had one child; who in her turn is the mother
of three children (no Donald there...) -- or the graffitti outside the
museum, one tag by a certain "Don", and a caricature on the wall of
someone called "Byron"... And the Beagle Boys make marvelous crooked
cops! What I liked best, though, was perhaps the two panels on the
last but one page, where $crooge gives Donald a present of soda-pop
(or whatever you called it English), and really means it too, but
keeps the bottles to get his deposit back...

Life of $crooge #12
===================

First I have to agree with what you and others have said about the
story needing another four or five pages: I agree that it is a bit too
compressed; not only in the chase-sequence, I think, but also while
developing the emotions as $crooge slowly thaws to his relatives. Also
I think your portrayal of Donald shows him a little too dull and
uninterested -- as a matter of fact a bit like in GotLL, where his
only interest seems to be the TV. In, f'rindtance, "Return to Xanadu"
your portrayal of Donald seems to me to be more subtle and complex,
more like Barks does Donald in what is perhaps my two favourite
stories: "Old California" and "Vacation Time". Thats a minor point,
though. One more thing concerning Donald in Lo$ #12: In the newsreel
sequence Donald says to the camera (at least in the Norwegian
translation) that if someone mentions "tougher than the toughies" and
"made it square" once more he'll get furious. Why is this so, when he
has as yet only met his Uncle once, and the only to kick his hiney?!?
Actually Donald tells HD&L that very thing: that he only met his Uncle
once, and that he was then younger than they are in 1947 (when they
are seven) -- but that was (or am I mistaken?) in 1930, when Donald
was ten! Huccome?

Howsomever, I have to grant you, at last, after having seen your
entire Lo$ that, YES! it makes sense to have $crooge build his
moneybin already in 1902 (or thereabouts). I guess. OK.

All in all I found #12 a worthy final to a great achievment!
Congatulations are, I think, in order!!!

Well -- as always, my best to one'n'all!

Mattias

!* Mattias Hallin ** <Mattias.Hallin at Jurenh.lu.se> ** Phone: +46 46-14 84 43 **!
!* Trollebergsvagen 24 B ***** Work: Lund University, Box 117, S-221 00 Lund **!
!* S-222 29 Lund, SWEDEN **************************** Phone: +46 46-10 71 37 **!
!************** "Give me land, lots of land! Don't fence me in!" **************!