Report from Portugal

Elon V. Brisola elon at VNET.IBM.COM
Mon Jun 27 19:42:55 CEST 1994

Hello!

Fredrik wrote:
> And then there are the Disney comics. They, too, are imported
> from Brazil and all have very weird titles. While I was there
> I saw "Gladstone Gander", "Joe Carioca" (sp?), "Daisy" and a
> character of whom I don't even know the English name ("Skogs-
> Ola" in Swedish). I can't remember having seen any of these
> characters having their own title in ANY other country I've
> been to before. There used to be a Brazilian member on this
> list, right? If you're still out there; don't you even have a
> Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck title over there?

Yes, one of us is still here. I guess Ricardo (the other guy) is still
a lurker too!
For the records: yes, there is a Mickey Mouse title (called simply
"Mickey") published since the fifties. Donald Duck ("Pato Donald") is
published since 1950. And my favorite, Uncle Scrooge ("Tio Patinhas"),
is published since 1963. (Always a Barks story in the early issues).
Other titles came afterwards, mostly during the eighties. I think the
quality came down a lot then. I didn't check the Brazilian comics for
quite some time afterwards. Fredrik, you probably missed some titles.
There are more...
By the way, the parrot is "Ze Carioca" (put an acute accent on that 'e',
please), published for more than 30 years now. This "Skogs-Ola" must
be the "bearded hillbilly" guy. If that's so, his name is "Urtigao" in
Portuguese (a tilde on that 'a', please).
The main Brazilian publishing company, Editora Abril, started with
"Pato Donald". Nowadays, I guess other magazines and the TV business are
more important and more profitable to them (magazines on every other
subject, besides comics).

Fredrik, I will send you some updates on the portuguese part for your
interlingual file. I'm quite busy right now, so please bear with me...

Ricardo, I still owe you a response! I'm checking thru my collection, and
will send you e-mail afterwards... Sorry!

Cheers,
Elon
--
Elon V. Brisola
IBM Brazil
Internet: elon at vnet.ibm.com
Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not IBM.