Harry Gladstone's Birthday Bugaboo

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:02:02 CET 1994

Mark Mayerson:

MM>	"In Whitman's Donald Duck 169 (I think), there was the story
MM>"Birthday Bugaboo" which seemed to be inspired by Barks and sold much
MM>better than other Whitman comics.

David Gerstein:

DG>	At last I know that this story is not a figment of my
DG>imagination!!!  I saw it some years ago at a friend's home.  It was in
DG>her son's collection, tattered and coverless.

This story title sounded familiar to me, so I checked my Back issues of DD
and found it!  It is from 1976 and has a Gold Key logo. (In the '70s
Western distributed comics both as Gold Key and as Whitman samplers...)
It's been a long time since I read this, and I don't remember the story
at all (even after David outlined it.)  I'm hoping to get a chance to re-
read it tonight...

DG>	It's a very mid-'40s style story in the personalities [...]
DG>The Ducks are drawn as they were about 1956, presumably because Western
DG>hated printing stories where Donald had a longer bill.

It definitely looks like mid-50s style drawings.  I remember seeing one
other DD story in the '70s that stood out this way from the other stories
of the time.  I remember when I first saw it I thought it had to be a
reprint; now I can't remember what that story was.

BTW, Maybe Western avoided the "longer bill" because they wer trying to
contain costs... :)

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes