All's Quiet on the Duckburg Front?

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Wed Mar 23 16:12:13 CET 1994

It may be because David Gerstein is temporarily away, but it seems
things are a bit quiet here.  Maybe it's just a delay in getting
messages to my system.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask Don Rosa a whole bunch of technical
questions.  These may have been covered earlier, but since I don't have
ftp access I haven't been able to browse material from before I
subscribed.

So, Don, I'm going to ask you all the typical Cartoonist Profiles type
of questions.  How big are your originals?  Are you working at the 10 x 15
inch size that seems to be standard for modern American comics?

What tools do you use to ink?  What pen and brush?  What do you use
to letter with?

Do you actually letter your comics or just provide empty balloons and
a script for Egmont?  If you don't do the English lettering, does
Gladstone add it?

Do you pencil all the detail you are always going on about, or add it
in the inking stage?

Writing and research aside, how long does it take you to pencil and ink a
single page?

Changing the subject, I'd like to thank Wilmer Rivers for mentioning
that Walter Lantz had died.  It was the first I heard of it.

Lantz does have several direct connections to Disney.  Lantz was the
final studio to end up with Disney's Oswald character.  Charles Mintz,
Hugh Harman and Rudy Ising took it away from Disney before Universal
took it away from them and handed it to Lantz.

Also, the Lantz studio served as a congenial resting place for many
ex-Disney animators in the 1940's, including Dick Lundy, Shamus Culhane,
Fred Moore, Grim Natwick and Ed Love.  The Lantz cartoons from about 1943
to 1948 are beautifully done, even if the characters and gags aren't that
memorable.