Riley Thompson

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Tue May 17 21:31:00 CEST 1994

Harry Fluks wrote:
> Could this be the story "Tom-tom Island" from Mickey Mouse Four Color 304,
> drawn by Riley Thompson?

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I was unaware that Riley
Thompson did any comic book work.  Can anyone tell me of other stories
he might have done?

While I'm asking, did Fred Moore ever do any comics, Mickey or otherwise?

For those who may not be familiar with the above names, both were Disney
animators.  Riley Thompson directed four cartoons, three of which are
referred to as the "drunk" Mickey's: The Symphony Hour, The Little Whirlwind,
and Mickey's Birthday Party.  The fourth cartoon is Put Put Troubles, a Donald.
(I'm doing this from memory, so if I've screwed up the attributions, I
apologize in advance.)  I have heard that the drunk reference is due
to how Mickey is animated and the liking for alcohol shared by the
animators on these cartoons (Fred Moore, Ward Kimball and Walt Kelly).

Fred Moore was the animator most responsible for redesigning Mickey from
the classic early '30's look to the sleeker Mickey with pupils in his eyes.
While many fans won't agree that Moore's drawings were an improvement,
I think that they are exquisite.  This is not to knock Gottfredson or the
early '30's cartoons, but I do love the way Mickey is drawn in The Little
Whirlwind.

Any info on the comic book work done by Thompson or Moore would be much
appreciated.