DD: My life in an eggshell

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Sun May 22 13:27:08 CEST 1994

Hello again!

I finally found my copy of the norwegian version of the 50-years story for
DD: "My life in an eggshell". Supposed to be the true story about DD, told
by himself. After rereading it for the first time in almost 10 years, I
still don't like it very much. As previously pointed out, DD is found in the
middle of the road after his nest fell down and he slipped out of the egg.
He was found by $crooge and his (older) sister (!!!) Grandma Duck. The name
was invented by Grandma after $crooge saying the baby reminded him of his
old friend from Alaska: Ronald (anyone heard of him before?). Donald grew up
on the farm. In this story it seems that Uncle $crooge lived at the farm
most of the time, too. This doesn't quite sum up with Don Rosa's version,
where $crooge travels around and doesn't return to Duckburg until Donald is
several years old.

Later the story tells about his nephews. This part is more correct, saying
they just stand knocking on his door one day. Except I thought the letter
was from his sister, not his cousine (as this story tells). In the last case
they wouldn't be real nephews. And how on earth did his family suddenly find
out what happened to him? After this, $crooge manages to find out that
Donald IS actually his nephew.

The rest of the story consists mainly of stand-up-comedian-like frames where
he tells about his many travels, employments etc. I didn't find many
references to classic storys here! Some pictures clearly referred to his
roles in movies during the WWII, though.

All in all this sums up to beeing a pitiful attempt to invent a "true" story
about DD, totally disregarding most of what has been common knowledge for a
long time. I almost regret I helped support such ignorancy by buying this story.

I am eagerly awaiting next weeks "Donald Duck & Co.", where we'll get the
12.th (and last?) part of the life of $crooge. That's what I call a good story!

Knut Hunstad
Trondheim, Norway
khun at veg.sintef.no