Fethry

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 7 23:17:19 CET 1994

Fethry from the late sixties
----------------------------
This isn't very informative, but if David is trying to remember
old Fethry stories, I might help him a bit by trying to remember
them myself.
     The story David mentions was probably published in Norway
in 68 or 69. I remember the front cover, but I do not remember
if it was at the same issue as the story mentioned.
     At this time Fethry was certainly a beatnik in all stories
which featured him. He had longer and thicker hair.
He didn't mean to upset Donald, but he he was always very
enthusiastic about the things he was doing, which often included
Donald. He always goofed up something, and left it to Donald to
fix it. A quite irresponsible person.
     He didn't even live in Duckburg all the time, but traveled
around. Donald wasn't too happy when he dropped in.
     In one story Fethry wants to get famous quickly. He wants to
be the first one to ride down a big waterfall in a barrel. Donald is
giving him a ride to the forest where the waterfall is, but becomes
very conserned about Fethry when he sees the size of the waterfall.
The forest also have a forest ranger, who doesn't want anyone to
ride down the waterfall. Every time Fethry finds a new barrel,
Donald somehow, by accident, gets into it, and rides down.
     In another story, Fethry rents a small house next to Scrooge's
big house. He's driving scrooge nuts when he plays music with a
couple of other beatniks.

Late sixties, early seventies
-----------------------------
Fethry is calming down, and gets shorter hair (if any at all).
Now he seems to live in Duckburg.
    In these stories Donald's nephews are often replaced by a
white cat (Mons in Norway). The cat hates Fethry, and tries to
hide every time Fethry pass by.
This "category" of Fethry stories includes the stories where he
and Donald work for Scrooge in the newspaper, and the stories
with that man living alone in the forest (I know he was discussed
here earlier, but I don't remember his English name (no:Jesper
Skaugen)).
    Daisy is often a police officer in these stories.
In one story Fethry gets a job as a milkman. Mons, the cat, then
thinks that he maybe isn't that bad after all, and hides in the
van. After Fethry crashes it, he, the cat, reconsiders his opinion
again.

Even if Fethry is not that much of a beatnik anymore, he still
keeps some of his personality in these years. He just seems to
be a bit more adult.
    Later in the seventies, and in the early eighties, his
personality is changing into a boring character that just annoys
any other people. He still looks the same, though.
    Later in the eighties, and in the early nineties (thats now...)
he doesn't even keep his look. Now he's just a boring character
with no personality, which doesn't even look like the old beatnik.
It's just a boring duck that seems to dress like the beatnik.

The change of personality starts with the first Egmont stories. The
older ones are Studio stories. He still keeps his old personality
for some time into the Egmont era, though.

In Italy there were made a lot of stories with the caracters from
the "newspaper-stories" (this could be an own universe), that is,
Scrooge as the owner of the newspaper, Donald and Fethry as
journalists, Daisy as a police officer, and the white cat as Donald's
family. Fethry usually manages to goof up everything in these stories,
but he's not much of a beatnik anymore.

   Jorgen