Disney-comics digest #499.

Dave Rawson Dave.Rawson at salata.com
Tue Nov 22 04:44:16 CET 1994

On 21 Nov 94 disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se wrote:

 JORGEN you said:
 d> This story proves, at least to me, that _both_ art and story are
 d> important. [...] A bad story can't be made good with great art,
 d> but a good story can be harmed a lot with lousy art - which is
 d> the case with this story.

Well, I didn't think it my place to comment on this.  Certainly
not before others saw it.

 d> One thing puzzle me a bit.  The story seems to have two
 d> endings...

Hmmm.  The idea was that Scrooge had lost his love of money, or so
he thought.  He thinks he needs to get back to his roots to
re-kindle this love.  (Not just go on vacation.) His confusion over
what he has lost is contained in the way he approaches its recovery.
Instead of getting 'back to basics', he sets up a state-of-the-art
-techno-cottage, not the same thing at all.

The 'first ending' you felt was when we see Scrooge do a little
Yankee trading, but it is not until Scrooge *realizes* that the
negotiating, the trading, the art of the deal is what he loves (not
just sheer money) that the story comes full circle and Scrooge is
rejuvenated.  The fact that it was only a single dollar that brought
all this home to him tries to "show" this idea.

Maybe we didn't nail it down clearly enough!

Don't worry about seeming critical.  I've been FidoNet moderator of
the world-wide InterUser Echo.  I've got asbestos britches.

... ~*>DCR<*~ Bahia del Sur de los Angeles
 * Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 16
--- via Silver Xpress V4.01 [NR]