Barks (fwd)

Gerhard Tank gtank at hq.jcic.org
Wed Apr 5 16:08:59 CEST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gerhard Tank <gtank at hq.jcic.org>
To: disney-comics <disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se>
Cc: Larry Brewer <brewerl at iia.org>
Subject: Barks

This message re-sent because of internet connection failure last
night.

April 4,1995: The following Associated Press article appeared in
tonights newspaper:
CARL BARKS HONORED AT CAPITOL
Donald Duck Launched Cartoonist's Long Career
SALEM (Oregon)
----But Friday was special for fans of Uncle Scrooge and Donald
Duck at the Capitol, where senators paid tribute to world-renowned
cartoonist and Grants Pass-area resident Carl Barks.
	Senator Brady Adams, R-Grants Pass, introduced a memorial
bill on the Senate floor,  honoring Barks for his seven-decade
career and for representing Oregon "throughout the world with humor
and charm".
	Barks, who began animating Donald Duck cartoons for the
Walt Disney studios in the 1930's and created the Duckburg characters
of Uncle Scrooge and others, is still at it.
	Since turning to comic books in the 1940s and 50s,  he con-
tinued to produce popular oil paintings. He made several tours with
his work,  including a swing through Europe last year.
	Adams' bill passed by unanimous vote, and the 94 year old
Barks got a standing ovation. Later, the shy but robust artist held
court at a crowded reception, receiving praise and signing auto-
graphs with a laugh and a smile.
	"Well, I guess I've got to do it once  in a while, so people
don't forget me," he quipped.

(In attendance at the ceremony were several grandchildren and great
grandchildren)