Disney-comics digest #635.

Andrew Krieg 5-5379 krieg at ct.med.ge.com
Wed Apr 12 15:59:36 CEST 1995

>HARRY:
>        The sign on the sandwiches was supposed to say "free lunch" which is
>what salloons did in those days for their customers. Why was it changed?
>Rather than waste time worrying about that, I have my hands full wondering
>about the countries where the sign (as are many signs in poorly editted
>editions) was simply left BLANK, with $crooge doing a "take" while looking
>at a blank sign, as if he's thinking "What the -- why is this sign blank?!",
>same as me. Why was it changed to 30c? Perhaps the editor never heard of
>free lunch salloons and didn't know why the food was free? No -- here's a
>"Disney" type reason -- $crooge was taking advantage of the free food by
>stocking up, so he's a crook. Eh?

Just a guess here; perhaps the Dutch (or was this in Germany) phrase for
"Free Lunch" would not fit in the sign, and instead of redrawing the panel
with a bigger sign, they used a shorter phrase?  I have done some work with
translating computer screens from English to French and German.  The French
and German versions require a lot more real estate to say the same things as
the English versions.

Do they need larger word and thought balloons for the overseas versions?
Or am I way off base here?

--
=       o        =  Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant        =
=        |       =  E-mail: krieg at allmalt.cs.uwm.edu   or                 =