Zombies and DUCK DAZE

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 13:49:55 CEST 1995

      DON:  In past messages, you seemed to have the opinion that one
of the things Disney would find "incorrect" about LO$ 11 was the mere
fact that Bombie was a zombie.  Huh?  Since when is spooky-stuff
objected to?  The days in which the MM cartoon "The Mad Doctor" (now
available on laserdisc) was banned for being too frightening are
over.  And after all, "Voodoo Hoodoo" itself has been reprinted twice
now in album form.
      Also, it's not politically incorrect to show white oppression
of blacks, since that certainly happened (still does!) and by
showing it, you're only pointing out historically accurate types of
things.  Political correctness seems to have this goal of "setting
the record straight" in mind:  the problem is that it's gone too
far and said that ONLY losers can write history books.  Political
correctness has thus emerged as a voice of extremism itself, and
damaged the cause of those who want to expose genuine racism.  Now
ACTUAL racists can brand their opponents "politically correct," which
is a very bad thing.
      Scrooge takes his lumps for wrongly doing an imperialistic
thing.  I don't think the politically correct crowd will have a
problem with that.  My suspicion was that Disney would simply find
such imperialism and its results to be too "adult" an issue for
"their" comics (which as we all know, are mainly intended for weak-
minded tots in rompers) to tackle.
      It's not actually political correctness that motivated the ban
on "War of the Wendigo," I have concluded.  It's FEAR of the
politically correct crowd that's done it.  There may have been a
voiced objection to "Indians all looking alike," but the final
objection was that Indians appeared in the story at all.  The idea
that the mere concept of Indians should not be used is certainly
bizarre, but not very politically correct.

      * * * * *

      I have tapped into a stored resource of letters from the Disney
Afternoon "Ranger list," which I was kicked off last year after
stating that I didn't think Barks' ducks should be "recast" for the
fall 1996 series DUCK DAZE.  Looking at letters that apparently
precipitated my exclusion, I saw that it happened for several reasons:

      A)  I had invited folks from this disney-comics group to join
the Ranger List so they could express their concerns about DUCK DAZE,
and a member didn't want the Ranger List to be inundated with tons of
angry criticism.
      B)  My opinion was seen as one-sided, for once HDL are
teenagers -- as they will be depicted on this show -- they are
essentially different characters, since everyone changes as they grow
older.  So what right did I have to demand that they act like they
did at the age of 12 or so, in the comics?
      C)  The disney-comics list was criticized for being too
condemnatory of Disney itself.  It was acknowledged that the
criticism of Disney (Don Rosa's comments especially) revealed
essential "kernels of truth," but this was seen as bad:  such
criticism would make that type of post particularly "hard to take"
for the Ranger List's resident professionals (from Disney TV
animation and its associates).

      From reading the articles I found, as well as seeing a
publicity illustration while back in the States, I find that DUCK
DAZE's version of HDL look very different from one another, will not
speak in their traditional voices, and will be very "hip" (one has a
punk haircut and leather jacket, while another -- the only one to
wear his old cap -- wears it backwards).  Donald's voice has been
slightly modified for the new show as well to make it slightly
easier to understand.  Characters from GOOF TROOP and DARKWING DUCK
will appear now and then in the series, but Uncle Scrooge may not
appear (I don't have the final word on this).  Just as Chip 'n' Dale
toys of all kinds were replaced by Rescue Ranger equivalents in 1989,
I imagine that "classic" DD products will, for the most part, be
replaced by DUCK DAZE products in the United States.

      My answer to the above is meant for any Ranger List members who
also read these Digests.  I feel that criticism is not only important
for a list -- it is essential.  I would not criticize Disney if I
didn't love its characters and want to ensure that they were treated
with the respect due all great fictional creations.  Furthermore,
Disney TV animation professionals quite clearly DON'T work in the
restrictive atmosphere that we comic creators do.  As seen from DUCK
DAZE, they have unlimited license to alter even the most famous
characters extensively, for good as far as Disney is concerned.  So
of course they won't necessarily feel comfortable hearing about how
Disney treats comic creators.  But the more that know about it, the
more pressure can be put on Disney to change, which is a Good Thing.
      Last, I continue to be disappointed by DUCK DAZE.  It has
clearly been developed by folk who, no matter what their talents,
did not realize the importance of Barks' universe in Disney's
international marketing and promotion of the Ducks (America
notwithstanding), not to mention the hearts and minds of the
characters' devoted fans.  The attempt to "modernize" the characters
has, for me, taken something timeless and dated it squarely in the
1990s -- and anyway, the modernization was done because Disney felt
its classic versions of the characters were not popular enough.  This
has nothing to do with the public.  It's because Disney itself only
releases the classic cartoons in a very limited way, and itself
damaged the market for its comics in the States.  But Disney cannot
blame itself, so decided that the public must want something new.
      My disappointment over this series does not cause me to hate
anyone at Disney TV animation.  I have no desire to deluge the Ranger
List with wild, immature flame letters, and I don't think anyone else
who might have joined the Ranger List upon hearing my call to arms
would have done that either.  I would have offered CRITICISM, but
that is not the same as an insult or a slap in the face.  I wanted to
encourage Disney to alter what I viewed as a big mistake before the
show actually went from concept to production.  When I was forced to
leave the Ranger List so that pro-Disney-only letters continued to
appear there, I continue to feel a grave mistake was made.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>