Disney-comics digest #648.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Apr 29 19:00:43 CEST 1995

DON:
> Who would care if a rich $crooge got richer?
Isn't that just what we've been reading about in almost every issue
of U$ (and now, at least in the backup stories)?  Seems to me that a
lot of folk are perfectly happy reading such tales (me included).

HARRY:
> AA    1a KQ 1390        1 c                 FD  O:Disney Characters on Picknick
That should be "Picnic" (sorry!)

WES:
> [Disney's censors' method] is a very racist pattern, in my view.
> They're saying, it is not wrong to portray people stereotypically,
> only in countries where it will create bad Public Relations.
Bill Blackbeard (editor of the 1970s _Smithsonian Book of Newspaper
Comics_) told me that that is EXACTLY Disney's view -- but that they
don't look at it that way.  They feel that at this point, Europeans
have learned to view old stereotypes -- including stereotypes of
themselves -- as harmless cliches, while Americans are becoming
touchier and touchier by the instant.

DONALD AND MICKEY #30
is out now.  The final gag in "Goofy King Arthur" is very funny.  The
rest of it is horribly bad, and even those who like the art in these
stories will notice that this particular story has had none of the
background detail of "Midas" and "Tut".  Instead, it had two palace
guards standing there, constantly saying how tremendously funny
everything that's happening was.
      The comic changes title next issue and starts over with #1.
The only way that this comic is going to save its sales, though, is
to change its format!  All the letters about the Goofy stories are
critical now.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>