Disney-comics digest #743.

Augie De Blieck Jr. adebliec at future.internexus.net
Thu Aug 3 14:34:00 CEST 1995

JOHN - Just wanted to let you know that I've never heard of an Eek! The
Cat comic book.  Of course, there aren't any Wal-Marts in this area
(Northern New Jersey, USA) yet.  I'd like to see it, though, if it ever
comes out.  The cartoon is pretty spiffy at times.

DAVID: Got around to reading the back-up story in Uncle $crooge #294
today and it brought up the whole question of translations.  Basically -
what makes a translation good?  Being literal?  Adding your own little
bits?  Not being too wordy?  Maintaining the pacing with the words?  Not
being repetitive?

I know you've often said you cringe at some of your earlier work because
of its wordiness.  To tell you the truth, that's something I've rarely
noticed, but something I'd like to.  I guess it's the writer genes in me.
=)  (Although this lack of a letters column in the Gladstone books REALLY
has me peeved.  I'm not subscribing for a letters column.  I just won't
write as many letters, especially not to the ones without a column.  And
although these "Year That Was..." articles are interesting, I'd rather
read about what my fellow fans thought.  I guess this makes this
mailing list all the more important to me.  Thanks, Per!  But I
digress...)

I did notice one repetition in "E.A.T.".  On the first panel of the
second page, two gentlemen are over-looking the statue of Cornelius Coot
and one says to the other, "We'll soon know who's this year's choice!"
To which the other gentleman replies, "It'll be announced in minutes." I
thought that was a bit repetitious.  I LOVED, however, the penultimate
panel on page 4 with the Beagle Boys speaking in rhyme, sort of.  Great
stuff there, I thought.

-Augie