Introduc(k)tion

Pekka V Frobozz\V Timonen pati at kanto.cc.jyu.fi
Thu Aug 10 22:24:55 CEST 1995

Introduc(k)tions of Pekka Timonen & Christina Hellstrom

Although the 'Welcome' message didn't say anything about introductions,
we saw some on the WWW page, and thought that we would add ours.

We have been married (to each other) for one year, met online four years
ago (actually, the first discussion we had was about Carl Barks and Don
Rosa).

Individual backgrounds:

Pekka: Age 26, majoring in Physics. Got my first Finnish Donal Duck in
August 1974, subscription followed a couple of weeks later. Learnt to
distinguish Barks' style at age 7 (Finnish Donald Duck does not give
credits, he was the good writer/artist), and have been a fan of his work
ever since. My (now) wife introduced me (as told above) to Don Rosa's
Duck stories as I had ended my subscription before they started
publishing his work in Finland.

Christina: Age 25, majoring in Computer Science. I don't remember when I
first got a Disney magazine, but I got a subscription for the Finnish
Donald Duck when I was 5. Although I didn't learn to distinguish Barks'
style until quite old, almost all my favourite Duck stories from that time
have turned out to be his. No other favourite writer/artist, until that
one number that had a cartoon that had me falling out of my chair... I
couldn't believe that this kind of comic would be published in a Disney
comic, almost every panel was exploding with action. I was immediately
sold. Only later on I learned that the artist was Don Rosa.

Currently we are subscribing Aku Ankka (the Finnish Donald Duck), but
since it nowadays is (in our opinion) mostly rubbish (apart from
occasional Barks and Rosa stories), and as we are collecting the CBL and
Don Rosa duck stories in English, we are seriously thinking of
unsubscribing.

We also hunt for autographs, and currently our (duck-related) collection
consists of: two Barks lithographs (Finnish edition), a special leather
bound facsimile edition of Aku Ankka 1951-2 (autographed by Carl Barks),
and two personally given autographs from CB.

The absolute (duck-related) highlight was when we got to meet Carl Barks
personally last summer (three days before our wedding) in the Good Fellows
Comic Store in Helsinki (we have photograps where we are shaking his hand
to prove it!) and later in the evening at the Donald Duck Birthday Gala
arranged by the publisher of Aku Ankka.

Christina Hellstrom (chellstr at aton.abo.fi)
Pekka Timonen (pati at jyu.fi)