Daniel,Ole,Don,Art,Frank in digest #756.

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Thu Aug 17 13:22:47 CEST 1995

DANIEL:
-------
> In which story did Miss Quackfaster appear for the first time?

Let me quote an old answer from Don Rosa to one of my questions (july, 1993):
> As you noted, she was only used in
> the American UNCLE $CROOGE #36 & 39 (IF that's her in #36), and she was
> only named in #39. As to why she is popular -- it's only because
> somebody at Egmont or Oberon decided to start using her as $crooge's
> one-and-only secretary many years back, so she became a fixture in the
> European stories, and therefore NOW in American reprints.

OLE, about "King Scrooge the First":
----
>  How much lost can a script get?

In this case (and other cases), Barks' script was in the form of pencilled
pages with text. Strobl and/or the editor seem to have changed several things,
but we can't tell for sure, because the original Barks pencils are lost.

DON:
----
> In the European Disney comics, the translators get credit for their
> work in the comic indicia

In the Dutch comics, the translators, colourists etc. are named in the indicia,
but their work is not exactly described (only general terms like "art director",
"color art" etc.). Apparently, they (have to?) make a difference between
the staff and their freelance workers.
I think it is a law somehow, because the DD Extra comic carried no credits
at all, until recently. The moment they started SUBSCRIPTIONS to that comic,
the indicia were added.

ARTHUR:
-------
> That's what I dislike most in the Dutch Disney comics. They NEVER tell
> you who created a story.

Well... ALMOST never. Remember the issue last year when Barks visited Holland?
It was clearly stated that Carl Barks created all the comic stories in that
issue.

> Just like Don said, it's ALL European Disney comics, that 'refuse' to
> print the entire credits.

Danish comics printed credits during a (short) time, and the current Italian
and French comics (Oncle Picsou) give credits as well, as far as they
know them. (Apparently noone tells them that some of the best Dutch stories
are drawn by Mau Heymans, because they don't credit him.)

> The Disney Comics in Mexico (like 'Pato Donald' or 'Daisy') are
> also very cheap

That goes for both price and contents!

FRANK:
------
Welcome to this list! It's nice to read your background and to see
you've read our introducktions as well!

> [...] I was a grown-up and I was not supposed to have that
> childish passion for comics, and all that sort of rubbish (sounds
> familiar to you? I hope not...).

VERY familiar.

> The Italian artist who I
> think has been doing best in 1995 is definitely Massimo De Vita.

If I remember well, this artist made awful drawings in th 60s or 70s.
How come some Italians change their drawing style so drastically? For
instance, Romano Scarpa was very good in the 50s, and then he started
drawing VERY ugly Ducks in the 60s!
Does the Italian editor demand style changes from time to time?

> I am not thrilled by the current French and
> Brazilian production (although I like the B-stories with Fethry Duck's
> nephew-- what's his name in English?) and don't know much about the D-
> and H- stuff.

This is very typical. There seem to be two Disney comics worlds: the
Italian/French/Brazilian world, and the USA/Danish/Dutch world. People
from one world seem to know very little about the other. I for instance
know almost nothing about French or Brazilian comics.

Maybe, with Egmont (Denmark) producing digest-sized comics in "Italian"
style, both worlds get more together...

> I am a collector of stories, not of comics per se

Hear, hear! 8-)

--Harry.

Harry Fluks         ()_()                 Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Telecom          (_)                     fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Netherlands                  "Yeah.. I've _heard_ of coral barques"