Last week's digest #758.

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Mon Aug 21 13:11:57 CEST 1995

ART:

Your comic shop in Breda is only slightly worse than mine in Amsterdam.
In Amsterdam, they say that "Rosa's stories are very good. I can't tell
them apart from Barks!"

> Look, I'm almost sure that Sweden, USA and Holland
> are not the only countries who can make Disney stories.

There are no original Disney comic stories produced in Sweden. The only
countries we (I) know of that produce or produced their own stories are:
USA, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, France, Brazil, Germany (only very few)
and _maybe_ Egypt. Other countries may produce their own _covers_, but
no original stories. (See the ftp file "story-codes" for more details.)

DON:
> It took a while, but I can finally recognize "Carl
> Barks" and "Don Rosa" in Greek. ("Don Rosa" comes out looking like "Ntov
> Pooa"!)

Apparently, they don't have an equivalent of the 'd' in modern Greek, so
they approximate it with "nt". Like in Ntonalt Ntak.
The second 'o' in "Pooa" should in fact be a sigma, a circle with a small
line to the right, something like
     _

When transcribed to latin letters, your name in Greek would be "Nton Rosa".

FRANK:
I said:
>> Romano Scarpa was very good in the 50s, and then he started
>> drawing VERY ugly Ducks in the 60s!

> WHAT? Well that must be a matter of personal preferences...

I saw his work in a reprint of Topolino #500 (I think), one of the
celebration stories. His Ducks were way too long, with too big behinds.
Really awful!

> I agree with your "isolated worlds" perspective, though I wouldn't
> lump the Italian world together with the French and Brazilian

Everything one doesn't know looks the same...

You said to Don:
> I wouldn't say you are my
> preferred artist, yet, but this may come later... :-)

In general, I'm quite neutral about Don's art. It does not look that bad
anymore (I still don't like the art in "Cash Flow", for instance). But
now that he works for Egmont, the art sometimes is superb. I especially
like the way Don draws the nephews. As far as art is concerned, "Return to
Xanadu" is still my Rosa favourite!

> If I had known that the list existed in 1992 I would have subscribed
> right away! The only thing I did was checking the *disney* newsgroups,
> but I quickly discovered that none of the traffic was about
> comics.

If you had posted a message yourself to rec.arts.disney or so, one of us
would have sent you a message about this list! We did that before, and
that's how we got, for instance, David Gerstein and Dwight Decker here.

JAMES SMITH III:
Welcome.
Do you still like prunes? 8-)

DWIGHT:
> Are Volumes IV through VI of the German Life
> of Scrooge album-series out by this time...?

Volumes IV and V are out. I don't know when number VI (with the
last chapters of Life of Scrooge) is scheduled.

--Harry.