Tomato(e)s, and why Jay?

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Fri Aug 25 09:44:24 CEST 1995

ART:
> So you could practically use every word you'd like in stead of 'Minsk'?
> Like: 'Disney-Comics at MList.Docs.UU.SE' or 'Disney-Comics at Tomato.Docs.UU.SE'?

No. Minsk and Student are two machines, connected to each other in the
same network. Something like two people living in the same house. As far
as I know, there's no machine named "tomato" in Per's network.

You quoted a private message of DWIGHT:
> > ...we pronounce "Mayer" and "Majer" so differently. They might
> > seem similar to you because you pronounce the "j" as a "y," but we
> > do pronounce the "j" very differently and very distinctly.

Funny you say that. It's exactly the same thing with "Hubschrauber" in
German. "Hubschrauber" sounds so different from "huebsch Rauber" (the "ue"
being a u with an umlaut) that only a foreigner would mix them up. 8-)

(There I go. Just yesterday I wrote that this list was about Disney and
comics, and here is my second letter not related to Disney comics at all...)

--Harry.