Hearts of the Yukon / Australian comics

Arthur & Daniel daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Wed Aug 30 15:26:07 CEST 1995

Hi!

Today, I (Arthur) am visiting Daniel, here in Maassluis. I finally got
to see his Carl Barks Library.

We decided to write a letter together:

DON:

Hearts of the Yukon <SPOILER!!!>
--------------------------------

We just read your  new story in  WDG#1 "Heart of the Yukon". We liked
it a lot. The  ending  was  kind of surprising though. It sure was an
'open ending'! What did you mean with it? We think that you intended
that Scrooge rather wants to keep the delusion of Goldie being his
only 'could-be lover', instead of knowing the truth (the contents of
Goldie's letter could also be very negative).

Anyway, it was very strange to see such an ending in a *Disney comic*.
We're not saying that we didn't like the story, but after reading the
last page of the story, we turned the next page over, to see if it
REALLY was the ending of the story!

Maybe that's the 'artistic' thing about the story? It reminded us a
bit with a surprise-ending of a movie. It always gives a very
disappointed feeling to see the movie suddenly stop, but a little
time later you understand the meaning of it.

BTW. We really liked the gag on page 4 with that huge man
on the bear, it really gives you the feeling that HE is Steele. It's
also very strange (but good "IOHO") to see such a gag in a Disney-
Comic, it's almost like watching "Monty Python" (if you know what we
mean).

Are you planning to do more Yukon-stories? On one side we're thinking
that this subject is getting worn out. But on the other side... the
more we're talking here about this one, the more we're going to like
it! Compliments!  <END OF SPOILER!!!>

Australian comics

Last time, you said that Gladstone's licence covered all of Northern
America, Australia and New Zealand. Why are the English Disney comics
also distributed in Australia then?

--- Daniel & Arthur.