Story codes and other stuff

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Fri Feb 3 10:56:50 CET 1995

That was some digest yesterday! Phew! 8-)

It appears Anders Berglund wrote an article in CB&Co. 22.
He was a famous 8-) member of this list a few years ago.
Is he still here?

----
Jo/rgen sent a list of story codes. Maybe a short explanation of
those codes is appropriate here.

>From 1963 on, the Disney Studios produces stories for the "overseas market".
These stories got 4-digit codes, with the first digit being the last digit
of the year, and 3 digits sequence number. For instance 6148 is the 148th
story produced in 1966. From 1973 on, the codes are 5 digits, to avoid
confusion between story 3013 and 73013.

The codes can have a letter or symbol in front of them. In the early
years, this was a little square, a # (number sign), an X (for 'eXtra'),
or the text 'XTRA'. In the later years, the codes always started with S
(S = States, or Studio).

In the Disney comics Database, I "normalised" all these codes: they all start
with S, and all have 5 digits. So "XTRA 5023" became "S 65023",
"X 0014" -> "S 70014" et cetera.
This can be of help when comparing Jo/rgen's codes with Anders' database
extract.

Other countries had their own letter for their story codes: D = Denmark,
I = Italy, H = Holland, etc.
The early Italian reprints had codes like T 701, which means Topolino 701.

(An explanation of the various story codes can be found in the ftp file
"story-codes")

BTW: According to Becattini, Disney stopped their overseas production
in 1989. So the Jaime Diaz Studio must have been doing other things as well.

Jo/rgen again:
> Hjemmet has started to give the codes for the front covers now.

What kind of codes are these? D-codes?

> HARRY told some time ago about the Pirate Gold story in one of the white
> books. One panel was upside down. What book is this?

In fact TWO panels were printed upside down. It was in a German book,
I'm quite sure it was "Ich, Onkel Dagobert" (I, Uncle Scrooge [!]). The
first Dutch reprint of the story (in 1976) used this German version,
with all panels re-arranged, but still two upside-down!

--Harry.

P.S. Please don't send too large indexes to the mailing list.