Pete's Age

Joel James Swaan jjs142 at duke.usask.ca
Thu Feb 16 20:38:30 CET 1995

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Dwight Decker wrote:

> I guess I came in a little late on this, but it runs in my mind that
> I heard somewhere that Pete actually predates Mickey. That is, a cat
> character that is supposedly an early version of Pete appeared in
> Disney's Alice in Cartoonland silent comedies circa 1925. Or was this
> already discussed here? Back to lurking mode...
>
> --Dwight Decker

Yeah, Pete was in the Alice Comedies, and the Oswald the Luccky Rabbit
cartoons before Mickey ever existed.  I think his "birthday" is in late
November - I forget.  Pete is the oldest cartoon character still "acting"
(except for MAYBE Koko the Clown from the Out of the Inkwell series - He
appeared in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. None-the-less, Pete's career has
been constant since his "birth")
  Joel