David, Jorgen, Hans in digest #590.

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Thu Feb 23 09:56:53 CET 1995

David:
>       HARRY:  "[Same ad] was reprinted in the (Gladstone) book "Mickey
> Mouse in Color" (highly recommended)."
>
>      Actually it WASN'T in "Mickey Mouse in Color"

Oops. This reference was from my head - I should have checked it first.
I must have had a Dutch or German publication in mind.

--------

Jo/rgen:
> Harry about a something-Haid Moe story:
> >Donald drives a school bus to the countryside

> I remember that story. The art is very simple, isn't it? Every time I read
> a story where Donald drives a school bus, I'm reminded of that story.

There is an even simpler story where Donalds rides the children to a
nuclear power plant... unbelievably bad.

me> I'm currently re-reading my entire Dutch Disney collection
> How many pages do you read each day? That sounds like a lot of (very
> pleasant) "work".

I must confess I don't actually _read_ all the stories, but mostly
browse through them to check artists, titles, etc. In the quite bad
period I am in now (1969), I go through a few dozen issues a day.
When I reach 1975, the good stories will slow me down a lot: I can't
resist reading them (and I don't _want_ to resist that). 1975 is one of
the best years in Dutch DD Weekly. The most Barks stories ever, they started
reprinting old Gottfredson Mickey and Gil Turner wolves, and Jippes joined
the editors and did very good covers and stories (after 1976 in cooperation
with Milton).

> In my opinion the worst years of the Norwegian weekly are
> the years 1983-1987, 1984 being the worst.

1984 also happens to be the Dutch year with the least Barks stories (ever).
But they started to do some very good Dutch stories (drawn by Colomer Fonts
and others).
Evert Geradts started to write stories. He has always been a big DD/Barks
fan, and it shows.

> There is a story (drawn by Murry, I think) from the
> mid-sixties which also involves Mickey, Black Pete and the Foreign legion
> in some Arabian country.

Maybe you mean "The Lost Legion", from WDC 167/168/169? From the mid-fifties,
BTW. Has never been reprinted by Gladstone. This is one of the (few) Murry
MM stories that deserves a reprint.

--------

Hans:
I think I misunderstood the word "successful". I thought you were talking
about how much comics were sold, or some other quantitative
(non-artistic) measurement.
Thanks for the explanation. I never looked at the stories that way.

--Harry.