Disney-comics digest #593.

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Sun Feb 26 16:40:59 CET 1995

     Re: "Good Canoes and Bad Canoes" in DD 290:
>HDL&L have a squirrel that is named "Sidney" but whenever the "Sidney"
>name appears, it is in a different handwriting than the rest of the
>lettering and has a lot of white space around it - an obvious
>alteration.
      That's Mark Semich at work.  Don't worry, the story isn't altered
-- from its original publication, that is.  On the other hand, that
original publication WAS certainly altered, and not by Barks.  Why?
      In WDC&S 168 (published a short time before this story made its
first appearance) the story "Cheltenham's Choice" (also reprinted
recently by Gladstone) appeared.  The supporting player is a chipmunk
called Cheltenham.  In "Good Canoes and Bad Canoes" Barks seems to have
used Cheltenham again, but accidentally made him a squirrel rather than
a chipmunk.  Dell's editors noticed the mistake, and changed it as best
they could by giving the animal a new name.  The BIG space around the
name "Sidney" wherever it appears fits "Cheltenham" exactly.
      The original editor at Dell is also responsible for the other
changes, for what they're worth, although I have no possible
explanations for why they were made.

      I don't have DD 290 yet (it was delayed a week at my local shop),
so I can only wonder:
      A)  The cover (which I saw in PREVIEWS) is from the poster to the
cartoon "Donald's Penguin", in which DD is sent a penguin parcel-post by
the obscure Admiral Byrd, which causes chaos around his house.
      B)  The earlier AT strips in this comic are the story "Polar
Trapper" -- adapted from a different cartoon, "Polar Trappers" (which
also included Goofy, absent here).
      So do some of the later AT strips in DD 290 adapt "Donald's
Penguin" -- or is the poster to that cartoon being used to illustrate
the adaptation of a different one?

      The two strips taken out, were left in when "Polar Trapper" (the
comic strip) was reprinted earlier, in a summer-1988 issue (I don't have
the number handy) of DD.  I don't have DD 290, but it would seem that
the censored strips would be the ones where DD chases a penguin with an
axe (and succeeds in catching nothing).  The explanation for dropping
the strips is IMPLIED violence of a completely unrealistic kind (no one
is actually injured).  This is perhaps the least-warranted cut of ANY
Disney has made.  HOW the hell can a kid imitate this?
      This is basically the weakest reason Disney has given for
censoring anything, "War of the Wendigo" included.  Even animal-rights
protesters would enjoy this sequence, because DD not only fails in his
penguin-axing attempt, but in the end all the animals gang up on trapper
DD and chase him home.
      The strips I thought might be deleted were simply some that I
THOUGHT might be part of an adaptation of "Donald's Penguin."  In that
cartoon, DD threatens the penguin with a gun, a scene that has been
scissored from the Disney Channel's version of the film.  Does DD 290
have anything to do with the cartoon "Donald's Penguin", aside from
using its poster on the cover?

      Diamond's PREVIEWS for May's issues:

      DDA 33 contains Barks' "The Golden Helmet" with a new Van Horn
cover.  It's 64-page issue.  There's also a new Egmont/Vicar Junior
Woodchuck story written by John Lustig, but I can't imagine that's ALL
-- they've probably got one of the European stories I rewrote in 1992 in
the back somewhere.
      The CBLWDC having printed a given ten-pager clearly doesn't stop
that same ten-pager from being reprinted in DD or DM.  If a fan buys DD
290, he might still want the album that includes "Good Canoes and Bad
Canoes" because it contains four additional stories which he may not
have.  But since many CBLDD albums include only one or two stories,
Gladstone clearly feels that a given story appearing in CBLDD will make
a comic book reprint impossible to sell in future.  Hence "The Golden
Helmet" showing up in DDA 33, about four months (I think) before it will
appear again in CBLDD.

      WDC&S 598 contains a Van Horn story (PREVIEWS doesn't give any
information as to its title or content), part six of "Monarch of
Medioka," and a "brand-new feature revealing the true origin and first
appearance of Mickey and Minnie Mouse."  Sounds like that disputed
first-drawing-ever of MM IS going to accompany "Plane Crazy"'s
storyboards, if you ask me.  I'm not missing this.  Oh, and a new Van
Horn cover.

      US 293 contains LO$ 9 plus Barks/Jippes JW story, "Gold of the
49ers" (you hear that, Harry? ;-)  Please note that LO$ is indeed by DON
ROSA.  Why do I note this here?  It's simple, really...

      DON:  Gladstone solicited LO$ part 9 as being by Van Horn (!!!),
who is mentioned several times as being reponsible for the story in the
summary of the issue!  The fact that the name appears more than once
suggests that PREVIEWS didn't make this mistake themselves).  What an
infuriating boner.  Is it this way in ADVANCE COMICS as well?  (And
might ADVANCE COMICS name the Van Horn offering in WDC&S -- or supply a
third story in DDA 33?)

      That's about all for now, folks.

      David Gerstein
      "Sturm und Drang will be my CREDO from now on, duck!"
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>