In search of Egypt references

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Thu Jul 6 10:31:57 CEST 1995

> Mike Rhode:
> >      I need to find Egyptian references in American comics for a possible
> >      paper on Egyptology in the comics.
>
> A quick search for "Egypt" and "Pyramid" in our Disney comics database

I'm kind of a smartass :-), so I also looked for things like "Sphinx", "Mummy",
"Pharao" and so on...

> results in the following stories:
[...]
> - Donald Duck, title unknown ("Pyramid Panic") (14 pages) in Donald Duck #108
>   (artist Strobl)

Unfortunately this pyramid is of the Central American variety, if memory serves
me right...

Anyway, in addition to Harry's list I'd like to offer:

- The Beagle Boys, "Secret of the Sphinx" (8 pages) in Beagle Boys #1,
  reprinted in Uncle Scrooge Digest #1
  (artist Tony Strobl)

- Donald Duck, "The Mummy Case Caper" (5 pages) in Donald Duck #79,
  reprinted in Donald Duck #200
  (artist Strobl, inker John Liggera)

- Donald Duck, "The Mummy's Secret" (12 pages) in Donald Duck #93
  (artist Strobl)

- Donald Duck, "The Mummy's Ring" (28 pages) in Donald Duck One Shot #29,
  reprinted in Uncle Scrooge & Donald Duck #1, Walt Disney Comics Digest
  #44, Donald Duck Adventures #14 and The Carl Barks Library of Donald
  Duck Adventures in Color #2
  (writer and artist Carl Barks)

- Mickey Mouse, "The Pharaoh's Curse" (30 pages) in Wheaties Premiums #1,
  reprinted in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #557
  (artist Jim Pabian)

- Uncle Scrooge, "The Pharaoh's Papyrus" (8 pages) in Uncle Scrooge
  Adventures #13
  (artist Vicar)

---
Anders Engwall

"N{r atombomben kommer, l}t oss ta en kasse |l
 och g} ut i skogen med tills det blir fred"